The seal behind the front sprocket

12 replies to this topic
  • YoungGunXR

Posted April 04, 2004 - 05:50 AM

The 650 keeps on losing the seal behind the front sproket and this is the second time its done this. Does anyone know why or has this happend to any of you? How can we fix this? Thanks.

• redrider650r

Posted April 04, 2004 - 11:22 AM

That sounds like the countershaft seal. I think this is the part number for the upgraded seal:
Countershaft seal part # 91205-MBN-672
Good luck :)

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 04, 2004 - 01:05 PM

Over filling the bike during an oil change can lead to this seal blowing out.

• TimBrp

Posted April 05, 2004 - 01:48 AM

This is key too. However, I realize that my bike with oil comopletely drained should take 1.7us quarts. However I find it taking 1.85 or so. I lay the bike over and kick it a few times during a changed to get all the oil out. Anyone else notice that the bike takes more oil than Honda reccomends?

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted April 05, 2004 - 02:26 AM

I go through the same process when I change oil (kick it on the side) and if I put the recommended amount it will barely register on the dipstick and always end up putting a little more in. As far as the countershaft seal goes, I have never had a problem with it although I think it was made (2001) during the time when there were problems. I carry a spare with me. I did have the clutch bushing problem and replaced it with the upgraded part. I have 4500 miles of desert riding on the pig. :)

• blvd619

Posted April 05, 2004 - 06:08 AM

Never had a problem with that seal. I heard that if you run synthetic oil it increases the chances of seal failure. I just run Kendall always, never had a problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 05, 2004 - 06:33 AM

I just got down to doing the clutch bushing and I have an 02' model. Xr's only said to do it because I have an early model production number in the line up. My bike was #47 made and god forbid honda waste parts. I got down to it and wallah I have the new/improved bushing. I was like &%$#@! but I put the new one on and now have a spare. Good practice anyhow. So for all you 2002 pig owners don't fret you have the good bushing.

• qadsan

Posted April 05, 2004 - 12:32 PM

I got down to it and wallah I have the new/improved bushing.

Yep, all 2002 XR650R's have the new style bushing. There were very few late 2001's that had the new style bushing.

• YoungGunXR

Posted April 07, 2004 - 04:50 PM

• Moredesert

Posted April 07, 2004 - 07:19 PM

This is key too. However, I realize that my bike with oil comopletely drained should take 1.7us quarts. However I find it taking 1.85 or so. I lay the bike over and kick it a few times during a changed to get all the oil out. Anyone else notice that the bike takes more oil than Honda reccomends?

:thinking:I thought that was 1.7L 1700cc of oil not qt. A liter is more than a quart. Right :)

• J_T

Posted April 08, 2004 - 05:13 AM

Correct, a liter is slightly more, but not much.

1 L = 1.0567 qt
1qt = .9464 L
so 1700cc = 1.7 L = 1.7964 qt
So it would need ~1.8qt
1.7 qt would give you 1608.8 cc which is 91.2 cc (or 91.2 ml, 3 oz, or 6.2 Tablespoons)less than required.

Don't know how much difference that makes...I just had the calculator handy.

:)

• TimBrp

Posted April 08, 2004 - 06:33 AM

You know I'm curious about your blown seals. Check the crankcase vent that travels up by the carb and under your seat. It may be kinked causing to much pressure. Hence, your blown seals.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted April 08, 2004 - 07:25 AM

All great answers...

I have an '00. Mine blew about 120 miles into Mexico. Sucked. But I managed. I had two extras on me, but wouldn't you know it... the parts guy gave me CRANKSHAFT seals. They look very similar. So I used tons of Silicone to aid in a quick fix (all in the rain by the way!).

NOW...
I carry two correct upgraded spare seals (and don't forget the special pliers for that C-Clip) just in case.

Correct fluid level helps with the aid of an "oil sight tube" from Baja Designs... I fill a quart, start the bike and add oil on the fly. Watching it come up the site tube is a cinch!

And I haven't had a seal issue since I replaced it with the upgraded seal.

Hope that helps!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.