Ricky to Suzuki and Bubba to KTM ?????

16 replies to this topic
  • Satch0922

Posted April 02, 2004 - 03:19 PM

http://www.cyclenews...HeadlineID=5990

http://www.motocross...ail.asp?id=1101

Ricky on a Yellow bike? Bubba on a pumpkin??? What is the world coming to?? Since these stories broke on April 2nd I don't think it's an April Fool's joke.

Bubba on a pumpkin......my world is falling apart.... :)

• thumpinscott

Posted April 02, 2004 - 03:38 PM

Wow, an actual press release. I guess it's true. Bubba on a katoom, wonder how that will be, it drove McGrath into retirement!

• yz_for_me

Posted April 02, 2004 - 04:23 PM

Holy Smokes! :D :) It will be cool to see some of the other brands winning for a change. The impending Bubba/Ricky/Chad/Kevin battle makes next year interesting enough, but this will make it even more interesting! I can't wait to see what happens. Hopefully Team Blue doesn't end up out in the cold. What ever the outcome though, its gonna be fun to watch.

I wonder if Ricky will be on the RMZ450? :D Maybe Suzuki figured with RC on board the new thumper, they could play a little catch up in the 4-stroke sales war. Who knows. I'm just thinking outloud. Like I said, it will be interesting to say the least.

• bushy

Posted April 02, 2004 - 05:18 PM

Hmm who's role is Ricky playing by switching to Suzuki?

Hint: His name ryhmes with Jermey McGrath :D :)

• big t

Posted April 02, 2004 - 06:02 PM

Is Bubba to KTM a done deal?

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 02, 2004 - 06:43 PM

I'm always surprised when these riders who come up through the Kawasaki program leave the green team just as they get big. Oh well, I guess money talks.

Also I don't want to curse anyone, but am I the only one who notices that when you break up a dominating team (such as Ricky and Honda) that the result is not typically as good as before the split? It's not just one person who wins and why Ricky would want to leave such a solid team I don't know. I'm guessing that the endorsements are worth more than the contract which would mean that winning would be more important for your cash flow than the contract...then again maybe I have it all wrong? Either way, it will be interesting! One final note. Bubba to the orange team? I would guess that the KTM 2-stroke 125 would suit his riding style nicely, but I wonder what he will actually be riding? I keep waiting for someone to jump out and yell April fools! :)

• troyfisher123

Posted April 02, 2004 - 08:48 PM

I'm always surprised when these riders who come up through the Kawasaki program leave the green team just as they get big. Oh well, I guess money talks.

Also I don't want to curse anyone, but am I the only one who notices that when you break up a dominating team (such as Ricky and Honda) that the result is not typically as good as before the split? It's not just one person who wins and why Ricky would want to leave such a solid team I don't know. I'm guessing that the endorsements are worth more than the contract which would mean that winning would be more important for your cash flow than the contract...then again maybe I have it all wrong? Either way, it will be interesting! One final note. Bubba to the orange team? I would guess that the KTM 2-stroke 125 would suit his riding style nicely, but I wonder what he will actually be riding? I keep waiting for someone to jump out and yell April fools! :)

ricky wins no matter what color the bike. altho i do think reed has his number indoors. outdoors he shines. as for bubba...he simply is awesome. i think you could give him a showroom stock bike, well...maybe give him a suspension, and he would probably still win. might not be by huge margins, but i think he'd give one helluva run.

• fog527

Posted April 02, 2004 - 08:59 PM

Say what you will about ricky..chasing money and all but wouldn't you?..What loyalty has the factory shown...thanks rc but we don't really want to talk serious...sorry MC you can ride for us but you can't have any fun?...it goes both ways I guess..But I'll say this about ricky,at steel city he had the championship won..last moto of the day....windham is cruisin out front but does ricky "settle " for second...NO he put his head down and charged till he won..I've had the opportunity to see several nationals over his career but that moto changed my opinion of what the kid is really about.....ricky's motive for riding suzuki????
1. work with The Man roger D.
2.Win a c'ship on yet another brand furthering his legacy...even mc couldn't seal that deal...
3.change of scenery...it works in every other sport

4.stay one step ahead of Bubba....

who really knows but it sure is cool...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sactorider

Posted April 02, 2004 - 10:13 PM

I think Carmichael and Stewart will dominate know matter what color bike they're on. It's a shame that both of these guys cut their teeth on Kawasaki's, yet Kawasaki can't keep them once they've "outgrown" Kawi's budget. I'm not knocking RC or Bubba, when this much money is waved in your face, I can't imagine turning it down. Bottom line, Stewart is scary fast and could be the only rider to eclipse Carmichael's accomplishments - and Carmichael's work ethic and determination will keep him on the podium for a long time.

• triplejumper

Posted April 03, 2004 - 08:27 AM

It will be cool to see some other brands winning. Maybe RC can change Suziki's luck and Bubba should be able to help KTM sell a lot of SX's (thats if he doesnt shaft KTM like MC did) I just dont see RC really pursuing a contract just to ride a thumper though, probably more money(not that there is anything wrong with going to a higher paying employer). :)

• flyinbrian1

Posted April 03, 2004 - 03:25 PM

am I the only one who notices that when you break up a dominating team (such as Ricky and Honda) that the result is not typically as good as before the split?

You mean like when Ricky and Kawasaki split and RC was never heard from again?

Just playin' with ya! :)

• BBRguy

Posted April 03, 2004 - 04:15 PM

Just a note here, i think its awesome to see people movin around, and i hope that RC rides a prototype RMZ450 (under AMA rules a prototype 4 stroke is allowed for one year for development until a production model comes out) because that would be just plain awesome, and what better way to try and prove your thumper is the best than have it win its first outdoor title on a prototype? Second, Ive heard Bubba say repeatedly that he WILL be on 250's outdoors... so that means he will be riding either a 250sx or one crazy factory 450sx...either way he will be on 250's...looks like the line up for an awesome national season... i think i peed myself from the excitement...gotta get a towell!!! :)

• Satch0922

Posted April 04, 2004 - 03:43 AM

Open Letter from Ricky

• aford541

Posted April 04, 2004 - 12:44 PM

I went to lunch with a few guys last week that are pretty credible, they said that Ricky would be on a Suzuki and that Bubba would be on a Yamaha if they could get all the details worked out. Presently Chad is not happy with Yamaha for various reasons and will probably ride red. Honda thinks Chad will give Bubba a run for his money in SX and if Bubba has a tough freshman year Chad could win the sx title and Windham could win the outdoor. Bubba reportedly rode Chad's YZ 250 and raved about bike, I have been told that the Yamaha deal with Bubba has been done for some time.

• berudd

Posted April 05, 2004 - 08:42 AM

Bubba on blue? That is first I have heard. I have heard alot of people say that if so an so goes here that will sell alot of bikes. Doubtful. If that is the case, then all the new bikes at the track would be CR250s and KX125. I think the newest CR250 I have seen is about a 2000 or 2001. Come to think of it, I can't recall seeing a CR 2-stroke in a dealership around here for a long time. The only new KX125 I know if in my area is the one in my garage. OK, so Bubba sold one bike to my kid, but that is about it. LOL!

The favored bikes in my area are the YZ250F and the CRF450R because of the way they ride. Consumers today have access to so much info on bikes with things like ThumperTalk, we are much more informed and no longer have to rely on who we see winning races.

All that said, I can't WAIT for the 05 season. If should be the best is quite some time.

• revolucien

Posted April 09, 2004 - 05:41 AM

carmichael still has to finish with honda any word if he's gonna ride a four stroke

• triplejumper

Posted April 10, 2004 - 03:10 AM

Yes, he is supposed to ride the 450CRF in the outdoors. I believe most of the top guys will be on thumpers for the nationals. Should be pretty impressive sounding!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.