Bad Stator?

6 replies to this topic
  • 193-426

Posted April 25, 2002 - 02:32 AM

My 15 ride old '02 426 coughs, sputters, backfires and carbon fouls plugs. It runs but barely. Initially believed to be carburation trouble, I tried on from a friends bike. Then also the CDI, coil, and fuel. All to no avail. What else is left? I can't pull the stator from the bike i'm getting test parts from. Any suggestions? Isn't a carbon fouled plug and indication of week spark? The bike seems to run best when it is completely cold until it gets to temp. Then it's all down hill. I am going to double check the carb, cdi and coil on the "parts bike". Please help!

• yankee

Posted April 25, 2002 - 04:56 AM

Check the flywheel. Does it have any cracks? See if there is any play in the crankshaft. Could it be bad crank bearings?

Get a spark tester. They sell these at the local auto parts store.

Check the timing.

Check valves, piston rings.

Have someone do a leak down test.

Is the exhaust ok?

It could be many problems. It is so new that the dealer should be helping you out. The more you mess with it the more likely it is for them to blame the problem on you.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted April 25, 2002 - 07:21 AM

My two guesses would be a bad exhaust (look for leak between manifold and header, big dents in header or plugged pipe) or a bad ignition. My first guess would be the plug, then the coils, then the CDI and then the stator. Go through the electrical checklist with a multimeter.

I would have said induction air leak between carb and intake manifold if not for the fouling.

Good luck,
mwc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Cantrell

Posted April 25, 2002 - 07:23 AM

Oh yes, if you are cleaning the plug, replace it. Once fouled plugs usually have to be run out each cold start until replaced.

Good luck,
mwc

• 193-426

Posted April 25, 2002 - 07:53 AM

There is a rock dent in the head pipe. Something large enough to consider replacement or removal but mostly for cosmetic purposes. The bike did run fine for a while after this was there. It runs better from half-full than from 0-half throttle but still not the way it should. Kind of the same but only faster. I used to have a '00 426 so i'm used to how it should run. I'm temped to just go ahead and order the stator. I'm not as into wrenchin' as racin'. Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions?

• Boit

Posted April 25, 2002 - 07:23 PM

Before you spring for a new stator, give more information on your symptoms. You mentioned coughing and sputtering, but didn't describe when this occurred. Go into detail such as whether this happens when under full throttle...etc.

• thumperdan10

Posted April 26, 2002 - 01:54 PM

Hey thumper gang, since were on the subject of stators does anyone have a charge coil or both they might want to sell for a 84 yz 250 2 stroke ,one of the coils is dead . let me know if anyone has a set . thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.