WR426 Aluminium subframe?

6 replies to this topic
  • SXP

Posted April 02, 2004 - 09:12 AM

Did any model year of the WR426's have an aluminium subframe? I thought Yamaha did that starting from the 01 year?

• Wicked_Crash

Posted April 02, 2004 - 09:29 AM

Nope. I have an '02 WR426 and it doesn't have an aluminum subframe. Yamaha started that when the WR450 came out.

• Woodzi

Posted April 02, 2004 - 09:31 AM

The 01 is steel. So is the 02 as far as I know. A YZ sub-frame will bolt right on but has no place to mount the coolant reservoir. I bought a used one from a YZ for my 01. It's really not much lighter - certainly nothing you can feel when riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Red3171

Posted April 02, 2004 - 09:39 AM

I also have an '02 WR426, and it's a steel subframe.

RED

• SXP

Posted April 02, 2004 - 11:37 AM

Thank you all for setting me straight :)

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted April 02, 2004 - 01:15 PM

The 01 is steel. So is the 02 as far as I know. A YZ sub-frame will bolt right on but has no place to mount the coolant reservoir. I bought a used one from a YZ for my 01. It's really not much lighter - certainly nothing you can feel when riding.

Thanks!

I was debating about how to lighten up my bike, and was thinking of spending the $ on a YZ sub-frame... Looks like I will think about other options. :)

• Gadsen

Posted April 02, 2004 - 04:13 PM

I was debating about how to lighten up my bike, and was thinking of spending the $ on a YZ sub-frame... Looks like I will think about other options. :D

Garry, I just shaved 43 lbs off my 01 WR426FN in 3 months! I went on the Atkins diet. Worked for me! :) :D About another 17 lbs and I'm hitting the carbs! :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.