Frame Guards

14 replies to this topic
  • Joe_Jet

Posted April 02, 2004 - 06:54 AM

Which frame guards offer the best protection for my 04 450? GYT, Lightspeed....???

I had an 03' and was very sorry I hadn't put the guards on it before the first ride.

Thanks,

Joe

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted April 02, 2004 - 07:57 AM

I like the works connections guards on my 450.

• Heckler

Posted April 02, 2004 - 08:04 AM

The GYTR and Lightspeed are the same. I like them the best.

• The_Blue_One

Posted April 02, 2004 - 08:11 AM

I have the lightspeed guards and they are exactly the same as hecklers gytr ones.I have had them for a few months and really like them.They go up abit higher on the frame than the works connection i had before.

• Jeffro426

Posted April 02, 2004 - 08:25 AM

Ive tried a few...Devol, Work Connections and jsut recently UFO...the devols just didnt fit right for me...they didnt seem to have the fit and finish of something that i would want on my bike, sold em on ebay for 30 bucks. The works connections were pretty good, but a bad crash mangled on side so i took them off and rode without them for a little while. After getting tired of looking at bare metal on m frame, i stripped my bike down to nutz and bolts and did a tire up restoration on it. Using PJ1 frame paint and UFO plastic guards ive been shocked by how well they protect the paint! They dont just cover by your ankles, but all the way up the downtubes of the frame. I lined the inside of mine with a really thin rubber material so they wont destroy my paint if i decide to take them off. For 20 bucks there a sure win...and dont think the plastic cant take the abuse..they can! Ive got probably 10-12 five or 6 hour rides on mine and they still look great...and the paint underneith looks brand new.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted April 02, 2004 - 10:15 AM

Try looking into carbon fiber works. They have a grippy type surface molded in. If you don't like carbon fiber, I'd go with works connection.

• Yak

Posted April 02, 2004 - 10:44 AM

The Devols are made pretty badly, thats no lie. I had to grind some pieces down just to get them to fit. Im using them now, but they are alot less quality than I expected. It was debatable whether I was going to keep them too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Doug_Caldwell

Posted April 02, 2004 - 10:55 AM

I use the Works Connection frame guards. I then take some clear vinyl and put it over the rest of the exposed frame. This works really nice. It saves the paint and is easy to do. Actually, I just revinyled my frames today. I am using some better vinyl now. I think that it is Factory Effects Clear.

• aford541

Posted April 04, 2004 - 02:26 PM

I have the Shogun carbon fiber frame guards, they are good quality and fit well and go all the way up the frame rail.

• crf450f

Posted April 12, 2004 - 10:38 AM

works connection, put them on my new 04, glad I did, look sweet too!!!!!!!
John

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 12, 2004 - 01:48 PM

The GYTR and Lightspeed are the same. I like them the best.

Not always true. Yamaha has outsourced to a few different companies. You can tell by the denotation on the part numbers : GYT or YZR

But yes the GYTR seem to be the best fitting CF products I have found.

• RJB

Posted April 13, 2004 - 08:57 AM

The Devols are made pretty badly, thats no lie.

I could not agree more. Was really annoyed when I tried to fit mine. In fact, got so pissed, I called Devol. They told me to send them back and they would check them out. On the right side, the hole was too small for the bolt - had to drill it out. The left side - well, it just don't fit. The pressure on the rear brake resevoir is way out of line - Devol claim that this is not their problem. The metal used is about 1/2 as thick as the stock protection and finish is very poor. My $0.02 - buy anything else but the Devol - I know I'll be swapping them out ASAP

• VET_YZF_Rider

Posted April 13, 2004 - 11:28 AM

I have the GYTR frame guards on my 04 450.
They fit really nice and they look good too.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 13, 2004 - 11:41 AM

Ditto! :)

• Heckler

Posted April 13, 2004 - 12:10 PM

Ditto! :)

Ditto His Ditto...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.