2000 XR 650 R VS. 2002 YAMAHA WR 426 F

6 replies to this topic
  • cvfd20

Posted April 02, 2004 - 05:14 AM

The XR has 590 miles, lots of extras: uncorked kit, k&n air filter,
new bars, new tires, baja kit, lowered gears, many others too
numerous to list. Serviced after every weekend ride.

The WR was only riden a hand full of times, showroom clean, this
bike is stock.

I plan on riding back and forth to work and on dirt trails of
eastern Montana and maybe up in the mountains. Is the XR too big
for this style of riding?

The WR is $700 more.

• redmanrandyed

Posted April 02, 2004 - 05:37 AM

They both sound like great bikes. I ride a 2000 XR650R and my brother and nephew ride WR400's. We have switched bikes on rides and here is what I have noticed:
The WR's are lighter and easier to jump, take on the whoops better.
The XR has a lower center of gravity and is easier to ride in my opinion, less tippy.
I opted for the XR because I am 230 lbs. and the bigger bike fits me better.
Both the WR and XR's are great bikes. I would suggest riding them both and seeing which one you like better. You can't go wrong with either one. :)

• XRcaveman

Posted April 02, 2004 - 08:43 AM

I agree with redman. I stand in at 215 lbs 6 ft. I've rode the WR400 and it's awesome on jumps and tight woods riding
BUT if you're going to ride on the road any at all, I would stick with the XR650R. The XR rides about 90% as good as the WR in the woods and about 150% better than the WR on the road. Good Luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted April 02, 2004 - 08:46 AM

The XR is perfect for what you want.
The Yamie will be at its limit on Montana roads getting to the trialhead...the XR will pass any truck, then get ya out into the hills--reliably!
It handles off road better than you think.

• jbrown404

Posted April 02, 2004 - 02:10 PM

I happen to own both bikes and like riding each of them. If you plan on putting on a lot of street miles then the 650 is the better choice. I geared my 426 so it was'nt quite as buzzy on the street but at a sacrifice to the really slow speed trail stuff. The weight difference between the 2 is noticeable but whatever bike you ride for a while you just get use to it. I'm about 6', 165lbs and don't have a problem moving the Honda around on the tight stuff. Where the 650 gives up in weight, it makes up for in low end grunt. I tend to ride the 650 more for the main reason that it's more comfortable for the long trips I tend to go on. You can't go wrong with either bike, they're both a blast to ride.

• cvfd20

Posted April 02, 2004 - 08:14 PM

Just got home with the 650, thanks for the help. Will list what the bike has when I figure out all the extra stuff in the boxes, this bike is sweet, clean and set up to run. :)

• big t

Posted April 02, 2004 - 09:59 PM

You will have fun with this bike. :)

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.