Ohlins USD fork for XR650R

19 replies to this topic
  • cat0020

Posted April 02, 2004 - 04:08 AM

Does anyone have expeirence with removing the steering stem from a lower triple clamp and pressing it onto another lower clamp??
I'm trying to mount my Ohlins USD forks to my XR650R..
The OEM steering stem does not seem to budge from the lower triple clamp.
:) :D :D Work in progress

• TimBrp

Posted April 02, 2004 - 07:34 AM

Another example of Honda's "No Grease" policy. I can't answer the question, I'm diggin your avatar..lol :)

• jbrown404

Posted April 02, 2004 - 02:19 PM

I've done this conversion to my bike and the stem should be pressed down through the lower triple clamp. It does take a little bit of force to move it because remember you're also pressing off the lower bearing as well.

• highmark1

Posted April 03, 2004 - 05:18 AM

What advantage is there to running USD fork? are the stock forks with different valving and springs not sufficient?

• dudleyscrf

Posted April 03, 2004 - 06:03 PM

Yeah I don't know why you are doing that! on my old 01' I just had it sprung for my weight and a summers fork brace. These forks are the same as 1989 kx 250 units and are considered the best conventional you can have. Honda has even said that if you mount USD unit you are asking for trouble!! It will be too stiff and can cause a frame to crack or worse break in two. The summers fork brace makes a big different, especially if you are dual-sport, without it you could see the forks wiggle all over the place, but with the brace it was mint. The bike was made to have some flex in it , it was really made for the desert, just my two cents :)

• cat0020

Posted April 04, 2004 - 06:27 AM

The XR650R with the Ohlins will be a supermotard track bike, with larger diameter disc rotor and more rubber contacting the pavement, the extra stiffness of the USD fork will keep the front wheel planted to the pavement when you are braking hard and holding corners.. that's a different kind of stiffness that you require when riding the XR off-road. I live in the dortheast, there is no desert near me, but a few race tracks and indoor go-kart places.. I'm looking forward to hunt me down some Suzuki SV650s or even Aprilias on the track..

Besides, the USD Ohlins just look so damn cool.

• cat0020

Posted April 06, 2004 - 04:06 AM

The Ohlins are on my XR, now just waiting for the 17" motard wheels.

XR with Ohlins :) :D
XR with Ohlins 1 :D :D
Okay maybe it's just me that excited about what I have done to my XR..

• mash

Posted April 09, 2004 - 01:07 PM

I had an 89 KX250, it was the first KX with USD forks, you must be thinkin of the 88 :)

• RidesRed

Posted April 10, 2004 - 01:45 PM

Sorry, I was watching your avatar...what was the question?

• Dieselchild

Posted April 21, 2004 - 04:22 PM

Sorry to break the news to you but you won't be getting anywhere near any SV650s or Aprilia 250's with that 650. You probably won't even be able to keep up with the crf450 motards for more than a few laps. Too heavy, not enough power and handles like a humming bird with a bowling ball duct taped to one wing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted April 21, 2004 - 05:25 PM

heavy, not enough power and handles like a humming bird with a bowling ball duct taped to one wing.

Yep, why even bother :D. The XR650R is a complete dog, can't get out of its own way and trains even turn sharper :)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• cat0020

Posted April 22, 2004 - 04:02 AM

heavy, not enough power and handles like a humming bird with a bowling ball duct taped to one wing.

Yep, why even bother :D. The XR650R is a complete dog, can't get out of its own way and trains even turn sharper :)

Are you saying that even though the XR650R is a "complete dog" to begin with, Quadsan, you still spent much more time/money to improve its performance, why bother?
I don't know what a CRF450 is capable of, but I just don't like the look of a CRF450. I've ridden a CRF450, there is just not enough punch at the low RPM compared to the XR650R. To get a SV650 or Aprilia 250's to land from airborne, that will certainly do more damage to either bike than a XR650R. I haven't ridden against a SV650 or Aprilia 250, but it seems to me that the XR650R would have much cornering clearance than either one of them, it's all up to the skill of the rider.
I'm sure a CRF450 can out run an XR650R at certain applications, but same goes for an XR650R versus the CRF450. If the course is better suited for the XR, the CRF could very well be the one dropped.
It comes down to this:

What do you like about your bike?
Why do you care to compare your bike to someone else's?
Shut up and ride.

• JackAttack

Posted April 22, 2004 - 05:39 AM

Posted Image

Check out the size of that rear sprocket. :)

Probably has the same size on the front. :D

• qadsan

Posted April 22, 2004 - 06:35 AM

it's all up to the skill of the rider

I agree and its common sense to people in the know, but some folks just like to build their ego up by putting other people's bikes down and saying their bike is the best at everything without facing the truth. If you're good at what you do and have the ability to make it happen, then you'll be a star whether you're on a Honda, Yamaha, KTM, etc, and it likely won't be the bike that makes the big difference.

I was just being facetious in my comments about turning like a freight train, etc. I bought my brother-in-law a XR650R, a XR250, a KX250 & a CRF450 over the last few years and have ridden & maintained all those bikes along with currently owning about a dozen other bikes myself (not counting all the bikes I've owned & raced over the last 30+ years). I like the CRF450 on the MX track and even as a trail bike, but I like the power characteristics of my XR650R better for the type of riding I do. My brother-in-law weighs a good 30 lbs less than I do and he just can't catch me on my 650r in the high speed sections, but he'll chew me up in the low speed stuff while dicing back and forth on many desert trails. When we drag race, it's a fairly even match for a while until I get to about ~60 or so and then it's good by CRF, especially above 75+ MPH. Both bikes are a ton of fun, but I'd like to see the 650R engine in the CRF frame with a weight of no more than 240lbs :)

• magilla

Posted April 22, 2004 - 09:52 AM

So what did you do to install the forks?
I'm guessing those are triples for a CRF450 that you used.
Fastory Connection?
Did you press the XR stem into the new triples?
If you're going to post a groovy mod like this you've got to give us the play-by-play on how it was done.

• cat0020

Posted April 22, 2004 - 04:30 PM

It's actually a triple clamp for CRF450 from Applied Racing, Ohlins USD forklegs and front wheel/rotor/brake from a Cannondale E440. Forklegs are re-valved to accomedate the XR650R to use as a supermotard but kept the travel.
Hydraulic pressed out the original XR650R steering stem and pressed onto the CRF450 bottom clamp. No shim, no spacers, very little machining to match up the steering stops to fit the XR650R frame.
Posted Image

• magilla

Posted April 22, 2004 - 05:36 PM

Good to hear there was minimal difficulty installing the forks.
I have a set of the Cannondale Ohlins on my mantle waiting to go on the XR650RR. Currently I've got a set of stock CRF triples but I have been eyeing some tricky machined parts like you used. I had the forks revalved, and shortened and the legs got the groovy black coating ( I had a hook up so what the heck).
Soon as the motor's back together I can try them out.

P.S. to those who said a XR650R won't stay with an SV650, it all depends on the track. Assuming equal riders, on a tight track, say anything under 110mph max. speed. A well setup XR650RR with real brakes and 17" wheels will run away from an SV, and many other sub-liter bikes. Ask me how I know. :)

• x400r

Posted April 23, 2004 - 03:15 AM

how about just being different and having fun with whatever bike you like? i like to see someone riding something different. always liked to see scott summers on a xr600 while everyone else is on 2stroke 250s. nice little fur a change.

• cat0020

Posted June 19, 2004 - 06:03 PM

Here it is.. next, steering damper, 320mm front rotor and a 17" rear wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• chunkytfg

Posted June 21, 2004 - 02:14 AM

there no way thats a 320mm front disc!!

You can just about see the disc through my wheel and you can see it is much bigger
Posted Image

I take it you still ride off road? If not cut down that front mudgaurd and it will look very nice

Edit: Sorry just noticed it was NEXT on the list of things to do :thumbsup:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.