Motorcycle Insurance

11 replies to this topic
  • Greg_C

Posted April 01, 2004 - 09:18 AM

Can anyone recommend a good company to get Theft and Fire/Damage insurance? I have USAA for my house and cars but they say they can only put full coverage on the bike at $300 a year. I know other guys that have the coverage that I am looking for at $60 a year. I called Allstate and they can only cover the bike as an add on to an existing policy. Any help would be appreciated.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 01, 2004 - 09:47 AM

I have separat insurance on my WR450 from Progressive. My other insurances are thru AARP. I only pay $120.00 a year for full coverage.
Jim

• r1superstar

Posted April 01, 2004 - 12:09 PM

Can anyone recommend a good company to get Theft and Fire/Damage insurance? I have USAA for my house and cars but they say they can only put full coverage on the bike at $300 a year. I know other guys that have the coverage that I am looking for at $60 a year. I called Allstate and they can only cover the bike as an add on to an existing policy. Any help would be appreciated.

State Farm.......

• 5spoke

Posted April 01, 2004 - 03:30 PM

State farm said they could insure my bike for some outrageous amount. Why? I don't know, but I'm going to talk to them again. I have another bike insured with them so I don't get it. What is your bike listed as on the policy? Mine is plated by the way.

• r1superstar

Posted April 02, 2004 - 04:28 AM

State farm said they could insure my bike for some outrageous amount. Why? I don't know, but I'm going to talk to them again. I have another bike insured with them so I don't get it. What is your bike listed as on the policy? Mine is plated by the way.

I don't have my dirt bike insured with them, but everything else is.

• Greg_C

Posted April 02, 2004 - 05:21 AM

I will give state farm a try. I also called USAA back and ask to speak to a supervisor now I am waiting for them to call me back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldbones

Posted April 02, 2004 - 06:21 AM

Farmers insures both my streetbikes (full coverage) for about 18-20/month each. My dirtbike is $10/mo full coverage.

• Tom14911

Posted April 02, 2004 - 06:31 AM

I'm pretty sure it depends on where you live. Insurance companies frequently "suspend" writing policies on certain things in certain areas. It all has to do with their gains/loss differentials.

If a company isn't insuring its possible that it will be in the future.

Tom

• jwriott

Posted April 02, 2004 - 06:48 AM

State Farm will only insure motorcycles if you have a car policy already.

I just got a blanket liability policy for my family. What I didn't know was that since I have a PW50 and an XR50 for 2 of my boys, I had to buy a motorcycle liability policy for these because they are not covered under the home owners policy. If they hit someone or if someone else rides it and gets hurt, you pay out of pocket.

• IceBox

Posted April 02, 2004 - 12:31 PM

I will second Progressive Insurance. Easy to deal with but I haven't had a claim yet. I think it was around $120 for full coverage year around.

• 5spoke

Posted April 02, 2004 - 05:50 PM

I will second Progressive Insurance. Easy to deal with but I haven't had a claim yet. I think it was around $120 for full coverage year around.

Could you give us some details on your policy i.e. liability, fire wind theft, collision etc. I want to have some ammo when I talk to them. I took the details of my friends policy to State farm and managed to knock 60% off my payments.

My other bike cost about 5 times the price of my 450 and State farm wanted the same premium. It's amazing how you can wheel and deal with insurance company's. If you don't, they'll take you for all they got.

• jasond

Posted April 03, 2004 - 07:57 AM

Hey all you Throttle Twisters, here's some inside on cycle insurance for you. I work for an insurance company, a rather large one, and here's the skinny on how to get your bike's insured.
1. Most important....you must not let the insurance company know you use the bike for racing, or that ride you ride at a track. Insurance companies get very scared of anything used to compete b/c of the liability concerns. Now we all know that it would be a cold in hell that one of us decides to sue another twister b/c they landed on on you at the bottom of a double or took you out on the singletrack. However, insurance companies don't think that way.

So, when asked what kind of riding do you do. you tell em that you mostly ride trails and or dirt roads. no racing or competing

2. You don't use your bike to commute to work. Never use work as usage, higher rates b/c likely to have loss at rush hour.

3. go with 1k collision ded b/c what are the chances that your going to have an at fault accident, or if you did that you'd actually file a claim. So go with high collison ded. Incidently, this part of coverage is typically the highest on the policy too.

4. This is a biggy!!Go with very low comprehensive deductible. like 250 or lower. Reason:This is what most of us want coverage for things like (theft, fire, weather damage,flood(dumping a bike in the river doesn't count) collisons with animals(yes you hit a deer on the trail and this is a comprehensive claim) Contary to popular belief if you file a comprehensive claim, your rates do not go up. Comp claims are considered to be not at fault, or acts of god

5. Lastly, if the insurance company will let you, just get comp only, liability would only be if your bike is titled for street use.

If you got questions, feel free to post.
Jason

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.