03 YZ450F Oil Filter

9 replies to this topic
  • KevlarSnake

Posted March 31, 2004 - 05:24 PM

I Had my 03 YZ450F Serviced at a Honda Shop were i live , only place open on the weekend that would do a Full service on the Same Day, any way i was changing the oil when i noticed they used a K&N Oil Filter that Fit's a 02 426F (WP56-0142) AND MY 03 450F call's for a (WP56-0141) and looking on K&N's home page i can see they are differ in size of 1mm, so im wondering if it could have cause andy damage to my Motor Cause it seemed like it was running hOtter after they Serviced it? :)

• Ga426owner

Posted April 01, 2004 - 04:09 AM

Just curious what a "full service" from a Honda shop means? Oil, Valves, bearing lube or what??
On the filter use either the stock yamaha filters or go buy a Scotts Stainless - it pays for itself after 8-10 new stock filters.... :)
1mm in height means that the filter has not sealed corrrectly & will shift side to side..... :D

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 01, 2004 - 05:52 AM

The only difference between the 98-02 and 03-present F filters is the material used.

The 98-02 use a metal screen (1uy-13400-00-00). The 03+ use a paper element (saves 4 grams according to Yamaha)(5ta-13440-00-00).

Now aftermarket filters may be built differently, but OEM that is the ONLY difference. Also you mention they differ by 1mm -- in what dimension? Width does not matter, length does!

• KevlarSnake

Posted April 01, 2004 - 07:57 AM

Full Service Mean's Oil, Valves, bearing lube and checking all tightning point's on Bike at the shop were im at,and i needed it done for a big ride that weekend so i let them do it,and it is 1mm in length difference,the one for the 450f was shorter :)

• yzfmxer

Posted April 01, 2004 - 08:49 AM

I work at a shop, and was looking at the difference of the 2 different filters 02 from 03, and its kinda decieving, because the actual filter is smaller on the 03, but the rubber seal on the end is thicker, so that makes up for the difference, and there really really close to being the same length.
Ryan :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted April 01, 2004 - 09:03 AM

Full Service Mean's Oil, Valves, bearing lube and checking all tightning point's on Bike at the shop were im at,and i needed it done for a big ride that weekend so i let them do it,and it is 1mm in length difference,the one for the 450f was shorter :)

Ok....did not mean to make you type so defensive...I would change to a different airfilter though.

• Scott_321

Posted April 01, 2004 - 10:01 AM

Kevlar don't worry about it causing any damage. Back when I first got my '03 I used the same k&n filter you mention ('02 426) because the bike was so new I couldn't find the correct Yamaha filter. My bike has been running fine since. I did notice back then the filter cover seemed like it smashed the filter a tiny bit when snugging it up with the screws. I guess that's why if it's 1mm longer.

• KevlarSnake

Posted April 01, 2004 - 01:22 PM

umm... sorry if i came off defensive i was just trying to awnser your question , although i am a little upset, i talked to K&N and they told me that the filter was different in many ways and that the material is also different that changes the amount of oil flow,and the inside width of the filter is different..... being after i had it serviced with this filter my bike seemed to run unusualy Hot tot he point were my Clutch was slipping
:)

• Scott_321

Posted April 01, 2004 - 02:27 PM

In case you don't already know, the '03 yz450's have a characteristic squealing noise upon take-off from a dead stop. Mine does it along with many others even with the correct oil filter. Just go out and get the right filter and change the oil if it's bugging you. I really doubt that any damage has occured. Lots of guys ran that same filter when the bike was first released because Yamaha was slow getting the OEM filters to the dealers.

• KevlarSnake

Posted April 01, 2004 - 11:27 PM

ok ....good to know i guess that other people were running the same filter with no problem,but i was even more worried when i talked to K&N and they told me that that Filter could cause damage,but could not tell me in what time frame or how much,just kinda left me to guess if the motor could have ran hotter from that filter or not have let the oil flow right, so since i can't prove any damage will just have to hope for the best and make sure the right filter is in there from now on :)

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.