YZ 450?

11 replies to this topic
  • gonzo

Posted April 22, 2002 - 04:55 PM

Anyone heard anything other than what was in dirt rider. I need to buy a new bike and I am looking at the CRF. I have a 400 now and love it but its old (98). I was wondering if the YZ450 is worth the wait.

Thanks

• RidenRed

Posted April 22, 2002 - 08:21 PM

I can get you a CRF450 for $6000 delivered to your area. Let me know if your interested. Call Dave at 530-306-3009

• Hootna

Posted April 23, 2002 - 03:56 AM

Gonzo,

The new bikes are only about 3-4 months away and I wouldnt buy a 2002 CRF due to the first year production run problems. Now that does seem like a good thing for the new YZ450 but I am sure that the engine is based on the existing 426 and the chasis will most likely be based on the 2002 YZ125/250 chasis. I am sure that Yamaha has a few tricks up their sleeve to catch up an possibly even pass the 450. But I guess if you want a good deal this is the time of year to buy. I have seen CRF450s advertised for $5699 on cycle trader and 426s in the showrooms for $5399.

But there aint nothing like owning the newest of the new toys so I vote to wait for the YZ450 :)

• Jeff_Bailey

Posted April 23, 2002 - 11:51 AM

I'd wait to see what Yamaha is going to do. The CRF450 is a fine machine, but when I rode one, I wasn't so impressed that I felt I was at a disadvantage. I don't think that you'd be at all unhappy with the CRF, but it would be nice to at least be able to make a strong comparrison when the new Yamaha is released. As strong as the 426 is already, all Yamaha would really have to do is tackle teh weight issue, and it would be a dream bike. Now think about what another 20cc's ( EFI?) might do for the YZF. So, lighter, a little more power, and staying on a Yamaha seem like they would be worth waiting for for me.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 23, 2002 - 11:59 AM

Go Ahead Buy the CRF Ya trader :)

Wait never buy first run production. At least wait for 6 months aftre the release. There would be a number schema change in the Bike VID indicating a diff version or improv

• yankee

Posted April 24, 2002 - 02:53 AM

", all Yamaha would really have to do is tackle teh weight issue, and it would be a dream bike"

It would be a totally new bike. Meaning their would be no comparison with the current 426 model. The 426 would be dead

"At least wait for 6 months aftre the release. "

This is correct for any bike. I waited until January to buy my crf. No problems so far. Most assembly line problems occur within the first months of inception. It is a fact of life.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmarion

Posted April 24, 2002 - 09:32 PM

Gonzo

Think man...

What would your bike be like, with say..

20# less weight?
More Power?

I'm waiting and so should you. :)

• bassr_#186

Posted April 24, 2002 - 12:22 PM

Yankee, how can that be true? It is my understanding that the factories assemble all the bikes of a particular model and year during one production run, which might only take a few days.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 24, 2002 - 12:59 PM

I looked all over the Dirtrider site and couldnt find anything on the YZ450.

I must have fallen on my head harder than I thought :)

• therapture

Posted April 24, 2002 - 01:50 PM

Originally posted by bassr #186:
Yankee, how can that be true? It is my understanding that the factories assemble all the bikes of a particular model and year during one production run, which might only take a few days.

That is true, they make a run od a specific model, then retool to make another type of bike. This aint the car factories that pump out cars year round. Much less volume...

• mat_c

Posted April 24, 2002 - 05:29 PM

I heard from a reliable resource the 450 is about 10 lbs lighter or close to the CRF 450 weight, so it will probably be worth the wait. I debating over a 250f or a 450f. I like the light weight of the 250f & being able to ride wide open (with my size 220lbs) but having the power is also nice.

• gonzo

Posted April 25, 2002 - 09:59 PM

Actually it was in dirt rider magazine not on the site. Also they can't make it much lighter than the CRF it weighs 233 and the AMA limit is 226. Timmy Ferry's bike is right at that limit with aloth of trick stuff. I just read in Dirt Rider that it is coming out and there was speculation on the weight but I havent heard anything definate.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.