Oil post different yet not the same

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_monsieurfurious_*

Posted March 31, 2004 - 04:24 PM

Is there a difference in ability to lubricate effectively with any given oil weight? I use a 20W 50 some buds use 10W 30. Would a 50 weight offer more protection than a 30 weight? Or is that just a way to get more HP out of an engine like cars do? I understand about the multi grade viscosity change. I'm just interested if a heavier weight would protect better than a lighter weight? :)

• gfergtr74

Posted March 31, 2004 - 04:38 PM

I always run a heavier weight oil in the summer and switch back to a lighter weight in the fall and spring once temps start to get down around 50 or so.

• Vibeguy

Posted March 31, 2004 - 04:45 PM

Viscosity is temperatre related, typically measured in centistokes at 40 degrees C (104 F) and 100 degrees C (212 F.) Your engine manufacturer will specify a given viscosity requirement for a certain operating temperature. The 50 weight oil is a higher temp oil, at high temps it will lubricate better than a 30 weight.

Using too low a viscosity rating at higher operating temps can lead to viscosity breakdown and possible engine damage. Using too high a viscosity at lower temps can rob horsepower and not lubricate as designed due to resistance to flow.

That is the beauty of synthetics, they offer good flow and lubrication characteristics at low temps and resist viscosity shearing and thermal breakdown at higher temps.

Viscosity is what it's all about, provide your engine with clean, dry and proper vis oil for the temp. you operate at and it will live long and prosper. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bob_Flynn

Posted March 31, 2004 - 06:45 PM

ok.......being that my business is related to this type of industry, no........ do not run heavier oil than what is recommended by the manufacturer, period. Let us take a new car for example....10w40 is recommended for said car. Johnny says that the weather is going to be hotter, so he will go to 30w oil........ Johnnies motor seizes up becasue the tolerances of the moving parts will not accomadate the thicker oil. I see it every day folks. You can get away with it somewhat on older, tired motors. Now.. if you are seeking better lubrication, less friction and free horsepower, there are many dyno reports showing SUBSTANTIAL increases with synthetics, especially RedLine Brand oil. We use this in our Bonneville Salt Racers......and of course everything I own. Got a lawnmower that has over 18 years of heavy usuage that runs on it....still starts first pull and uses no oil........there is a difference. Peterson Motorsprts whom builds alot of Pro MXers motors uses RedLine whole heartedly, his dyno proves it. As we all know, even a 1/8 more hp is noticable and the bikes run much cooler.

• aford541

Posted April 05, 2004 - 08:21 PM

Yes I agree the best choice is a high quality synthetic, I ran the maxima synthetic and hated it I have always used the amsoil 0-30 and my bike feels like it makes 5 more horsepower on it compared to the maxima.

• revolucien

Posted April 09, 2004 - 05:10 AM

so do you what do you think the min break in time is before you crossover to synthetic

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.