Question about helmet cam setup

11 replies to this topic
  • fastenuf4u

Posted March 31, 2004 - 03:56 PM

I am planning on racing for the first time this year on Sunday and had a question regarding my helmet cam setup. Where do you guys think the camera should be placed to get the best helmet cam video? For my last set of video's I had it on the right side of my helmet but I was wondering if you guys know of a better place for it.

Be ready for some nice video's of the race early next week. :)

• Doug_Caldwell

Posted March 31, 2004 - 04:01 PM

After seeing your videos, I would say that it is just fine where you have it. The only thing that I could think of would be to maybe try to mount it on the top of your helemt. But I don't know if that would make the cam more vulnerable or if the picture would be as cool.

Where you have it gives you the angel/devil on the shoulder prospective. Very cool.

• Guest_monsieurfurious_*

Posted March 31, 2004 - 04:02 PM

Mine points front on the left side but points back on the right side. Every cam faces front, it is cool to get some footage pointing back just to mix it up.

• endurodog

Posted March 31, 2004 - 06:50 PM

I've done it pointing back in the sand dunes with a paddle, that was neat. I have thought I would like to figure out some sort of leg strap so that it would get the camera at a different vantage point.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 01, 2004 - 02:35 AM

I stuck it under me left radiator. Really cool view; front wheel on the right side of the screen with a clear view of the track. I never realized just how many small bumps the suspension soaks up! I'll post a clip if I ever get the hardware to move it over to the computer. :)

• fastenuf4u

Posted April 01, 2004 - 03:36 AM

I would like to try it mounted on the bike but they say your body absorbs alot of the bumps, on the bike I can imagine it is sort of bumpy. I am sure on a street bike it would be perfect but I am not sure about an MX bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • endurodog

Posted April 01, 2004 - 03:54 AM

I stuck it under me left radiator.

Thats a kewl idea :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 01, 2004 - 04:08 AM

I would like to try it mounted on the bike but they say your body absorbs alot of the bumps...

True you body takes a lot of it, but you would be surprised how still the radiator is. A fender would probably be horrible as it bounces, but the radiator is suprisingly still. Lots of movement, but not the "vibration" type that makes you ill to watch. :)

• yzf450jack

Posted April 01, 2004 - 02:15 PM

I have mounted it under my viser in the corner with a little silicone you can adjust it up and down the wire will go threw one of the vents and down to a pack on your back :) :D :D

• Mossman

Posted April 01, 2004 - 02:24 PM

I have used helmet cam for about two years now, my favorite place is on the top of the helmet. I used to use it mostly for kart racing, but in the past year, have started using it in the woods. You have be careful there, a branch can take it right off!

The other problem I ran into, was leaves getting stuck on the camera and not knowing it, makes for some boring footage! I think this year, I will try some new mounts, I like the idea of the lower side of the bike to see the suspension working.

Joe

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 01, 2004 - 03:28 PM

I just had a thought for the original poster. If you are going to be in a "Race" then you might not want to wear the camera. Having the camcorder in my fanny bag makes me ride about 2 notches more towards the slow and safe side. Not because I dont' want to break the camera, but because I don't want to break myself by falling on the camera and having it break my ribs or something. Just food for thought, have fun!

• fastenuf4u

Posted April 01, 2004 - 03:39 PM

sirthump,
I thought about that as well, but I think I have found a way to work around that. I bought a camelbak backpack and removed the water bladder and stuck the camcorder and wiring in there. This setup doesn't let the camcorder bounce around like it did with the fanny pack. I am gonna test the set up out on Saturday during practice, if it doesn't work then I won't wear it on race day.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.