Cherry Red Header pipe well idling ?

4 replies to this topic
  • pmh971

Posted March 31, 2004 - 03:46 PM

I was running my 03 YZ 450 on the stand and noticed that the header pipe got cherry head hot after about 90 seconds. I never noticed it getting so red. Is that normal?

• 426F

Posted March 31, 2004 - 03:50 PM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Doug_Caldwell

Posted March 31, 2004 - 03:53 PM

Your question has been answered many times on here. Please take a look at the search feature.

But to save you the trouble......Yes it is normal for the pipe to glow when idling. If you take a look at your owner's manual you will see that it says not to let the bike idle for too long. It also says not to leave the choke on for very long either. The reason for the glowing pipe is that no air is circulating through the radiators or flowing over the head pipe.

• YZ250F49

Posted March 31, 2004 - 03:54 PM

Yes, but don't let it sit and idle any longer than necessary.

• pmh971

Posted March 31, 2004 - 04:19 PM

Thanks guys.....

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.