update on riding and taking advice from you all

22 replies to this topic
  • 426thumpers

Posted April 22, 2002 - 02:21 PM

well rode tonight, this was after hitting the gym and doing a pretty decent back and hamstring workout. Did dead lifts up to 375lbs for 5 reps so my back was a little tired and sore. i know, no lifting like a bodybuilder, but i will do cardio in the morning for conditioning.
I went riding with my 4 yr old buddy and his KTM 50, we went to a dried up track i go to(very small and tight corners). Riding with him made me ride slower which i needed to get better at corners and get comfortable on the bike instead of riding to survive. Took all your advice, sat higher on the seat on corners, stood up as much as possible(till i got worn out) and rode slower and not over my riding skills, kept focus ahead of me and not over the front tire. Much better of a night, my little buddy took some hard spills but like a champ kept on going. I did much better and stuck with it. Still a bear to ride and kicks my ass on corners, feel like i should be going into them faster and not almost stopping.
Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and i'm going to battle my way to be a better rider. Not looking to win any throphies but be able to ride good, fast and have fun. Have no urge to start motorcross and get stomped on or landed on by you faster riders on doubles, no need to worry the girlfriend either. So i'll stick with it and hopefully get better, more comfortable and maybe tackle a scramble some time in the future.
thanks all for the encouragement

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: 426thumpers ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 24, 2002 - 07:33 AM

Your right as far as the corner speed. The 426 isnt really a point and squirt bike. It will do that, but its gonna work ya. Try taking a wider line through the corners for a while. While the 426 will drive to the inside, Ive had my best luck in the middle of the course to the outside.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 24, 2002 - 11:23 AM

Good work

Ya its alot of fun when you start getting used to the personality of the bike. Do what you are doing take it slow and steady, Never feel intimidated from the bone heads taht will try and challange you. Decent riders recognize and try to keep track of slower riders instead of bumping them and all.

Get your routine down, when confortable step it up a notch, example: Hit that turn in third al ok have plenty of poop after to excel out, rounded ok
think whats next
As MC says take a wider look at the turn use the Apex approch on the thumper, i.e. look at the turn in a straight line meaning how would I enter and exit keeping the apex of the turn as straight as I can.

Walk the turns you have trouple with, Walk the entry to the exit picking what you would think is the fastest path through.

Sit at the turns / jumps so on and watch other riders good / bad go through it, You learn alot watching.

Good luck
I just got my best lil buddett a xr 70 so she is stoked and already ripping up the back yard :)

• 426thumpers

Posted April 24, 2002 - 02:50 PM

thanks for the advice. I think why i was having such trouble in the corners were because they were really small and tight, the KTM50 made the lines first. Towards the end of the night i figured out to take a larger turn and worked better.
are you guys braking alot before the turns and hitting them slow then rolling on the throttle half way through and nailing it on the way out or are you taking them pretty hard going in and out?
corners are my worst riding skill, especially when it's soft sand in the corner

• motousa

Posted April 24, 2002 - 03:56 PM

A lot of that last question of yours obviously depends on skill level, but as a bas you want to get the majority of braking done before the corner, keep braking at the entrance and then be off the brakes. Get back on the throttle again and be smooth as possible with it. the fastest corner is one where you are either on the brakes or the gas. Best of luck!

• mcarp

Posted April 24, 2002 - 05:53 PM

Try this, I learned this from an advanced street riders course and found it helps in the dirt as well.

Keep your head level while turning it as far behind you as possible as you enter the turn. Look at the spot you want to be after the corner.
This may not always work and you need to be aware of any ruts, rocks, etc in your path, so try to visually "draw" the line you want your bike to follow.

What kind of terrain and tires are you running?

Have you raised the forks in the triple clamps? :)
Keep roostin,
mcarp

• 426thumpers

Posted April 25, 2002 - 03:14 AM

i have dunlop D739 80/100/21 on the fronts and dunlop D739 110/90/19 on the back.
live in florida so most of the terrain is sandy, i try to find hard spots to ride especially after it rains.
how does raising the clamps help out, and what do i have to do to set it right?

• LJ

Posted April 25, 2002 - 05:34 AM

One thing that helped me corner a lot better was to first determine what kind of corner it is. If it is a flat corner (no berm to hit) I sit on the outside edge of the seat and put my weight on the outside peg with the power on. My torso is almost verticle and I'm forcing the bike into the turn. I'm also leaning forward to put weight on the front tire, sometimes I stick my inside foot out to help weight the front tire, If the turn has a berm, I like to brake hard with the front brake to transfer a lot weight to the front tire, and then sit square on the seat and lean with the bike with the power on. My torso is aligned with the motorcycle and I try to ride with my body as perpendicular to the berm as I can for maximum traction. It's fun to practice and the YZ400/426 is an awsome handling bike. It doesn't do anything too fast (handling wise), but that is just fine. I had a newer RM250 and that darn thing through me on the ground more times than I care to think. Well, have fun and practice, practice..

• 426thumpers

Posted April 25, 2002 - 12:05 PM

good advice on the corners, want to trade the 69 camaro?hahaha, sold my 67 a while back and want a 68RS/SS with a big block

• mcarp

Posted April 25, 2002 - 04:59 PM

Holy Crap, you're running hard terrain tires in the sand?????

Get some soft terrain/sand oriented tires, man!

I promise you that's at least HALF
:) of your problem.

I'm not a geometry expert, but raising the forks will make the bike steer quicker by virtue of decreased rake. Also it transfers the weight bias ever so slightly to the front allowing the front tire to receive just a tad more traction. If you're a fast sand rider, this may not be all the great because you'll be looking for more stability and a lighter front end (to avoid wash out). All I can say is try it out, you can always move it back..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426thumpers

Posted April 26, 2002 - 03:28 AM

i was watching some motocross yesterday, looks like alot of the bikes about stop before a hard corner and then power out of it, i always thought you would go into them faster. What about burms? First one i tried on this bike i ended up going right over the top of it, very scarey since i didn't know what was on the other side.
As for the tires, i'll know to change them as soon as i need new ones. Because of $$ right now i can't go out and buy the best tire for my riding. So i guess i'll try to look at it this way, if i can get good in the soft sand turns with these tires , it will be that much easier when i get the right tires.
what is the best tires for semi hard to soft sand riding?

• Hootna

Posted April 26, 2002 - 03:35 AM

The new Dunlop D773 looks to be one bad mo dinker of a tire for soft to intermediate. I dont think I would buy it if you have hard pack, but it would rock in the sand.

• dirtdad

Posted April 26, 2002 - 05:13 AM

One thing that I don't recall being mentioned that may help. When turning with a berm, try slightly dragging the front brake a little. This should keep you from going over the top. This may be a hard technique to get used to at first since your applying throttle at the same time but, it does work. Also, dragging the rear break (slightly, while still on the throttle as you don't want the front end to dive) while in a choppy area will help tame the rear end of the bike! Hope this helps.

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

• LJ

Posted April 26, 2002 - 05:25 AM

Sometimes I think about unloading the 69 Camaro because I free time is running out. Getting married and buying a house and doing a remodel sucks up a lot of time! I've got a ton of work in the thing, but it still needs a lot more. My wife wants me to finish it before we have a baby, so the clock is ticking! I've totally stripped the car, did all of the rust repair (the right way), including replacing the rear window channel that always rusts away on these cars. It's got all new sheet metal from the doors forward (including cowl induction hood), and front end is all new from PSI. I've blocked it out twice and about to do the final wet sand so it's about ready for paint. This summer I hope to do the fun part and drop in a ZZ4 crate motor with a muncie 4-speed. I hope to be driving it next year. I know this is out of context of the forum, but it's fun to talk about. You looking to find another camaro?

By the way, I raised my forks 7mm above the triple clamp to bite a little bit better in the corners. This helps with more weight transfer to front tire. My Physics text book says that the friction force (F) equals the normal force (N)times the static coefficient of friction (u) (F=uN). Friction factor is a constant assuming the tire is not sliding. If the tire slides, our friction force drecreases because our friction factor goes from static to kinetic, which is roughly 20-40% less, which is bad for us guys trying to turn our YZs! So the best way to increase the friction force so our bikes don't under steer (front end slide out) is to increase the normal force (N), which is done by more weight transfer to the front tire. The best way to do this is to brake hard with the front brake while the bike is upright and not leaned over in a corner. Braking hard with the front brake while leaned over is bad because your contact patch is much less, so do all of your braking before the turn (actually, this is a simplified view, other forces come into play when you turn) Also, using the front brake has a side benefit because you can use it slide your body forward on the bike, rather than pulling yourself forward with the bars. This uses less energy which is good for us guys who are no longer in their twenties and don't have as much energy to expend. Blame it on having a 7-5 job sitting behind a computer and a really good caffeteria, love them donuts...

Now put the theory to practice!

• dirtdad

Posted April 26, 2002 - 06:23 AM

very technical, but I can't really tell if was in reply to the advice I gave or not. Maybe my tip was mis-interpreted. I wasn't implying to brake hard while leaned over. My tip was to SLIGHTLY drag the front brake while rounding a berm to keep the front end from climbing up and over the berm. It is a technique that is tought by Gary Semics and many other pros. It does work.

• LJ

Posted April 26, 2002 - 09:17 PM

Hi dirtdad,

Actually I didn't see your reply, so I wasn't replying to your advice on draging the front (and rear) while going through the turn. I think you are correct that dragging the brakes a little bit through a turn does help to settle the bike down, I like the technique also. My point was to do all of the braking to srub of speed before you enter the turn. Sorry about the confusion!!!

• dirtdad

Posted April 26, 2002 - 10:33 AM

apparently, the confusion was mine :D :D which is usually the case. I'm getting old and senile. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 26, 2002 - 10:36 AM

I just ride like I used to be when I was a drunk trying to walk home
Turn right Crash
get up
Turn Left Crash
get back up
Crash for no reason
Ha He :)

• dirtdad

Posted April 26, 2002 - 10:37 AM

you're drunk now, right? :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 26, 2002 - 10:38 AM

No sober twenty minutes

Oh I mean 20 years not a drop

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.