starting

8 replies to this topic
  • willis7864

Posted April 22, 2002 - 11:46 AM

Im having a lot of trouble starting my 2001 426.Can anyone give me some advice on this.I hear that the is some screw that you put in the carb,of air box to help this.Is this true if so what do i do.Please help as this problem is costing me race wins.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 22, 2002 - 11:50 AM

Actually you load the air box with loose 5mm screws, This slows the velocity of the swirl effect at low rpm. In turn it unduces a suction of colder air from the Cold screws, which cools the gas before it hits the Intake valve.

:) Juts kidding its called the Bkmod you can find it as well as the blue wire mod at
http://motoman393.forreal.net

Good luck

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 22, 2002 - 11:58 AM

I don't think you should need any modifications to make the '01 426 start easily. Can you give more details about when you're having the trouble? Is it hard to start when cold, when hot, both? Are you following the steps in the manual to start it (very very important!)?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 22, 2002 - 12:01 PM

Ego, your not being nice, so not much has changed. :)

Do the blue wire mod prior to dicken with the carb. Also, how long have you had your YZ? It takes a while to learn how to kick it. Once ya get it down, you startem with a pair of flipflops on. Check Motoman393 website for this mod, it only takes about 10 mins. and really seems to help out the 01. I did it to my 00, didnt notice any difference at all, but some guys with the newer bike are swearing by it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • willis7864

Posted April 22, 2002 - 12:05 PM

It is a bit of both realy.I am doing what the book says but with no joy.

• d_criss

Posted April 22, 2002 - 01:35 PM

What you talkin' bout Willis?

Sorry for the American sitcom humor at your name's expense.

Based on your Thumper Talk member number, you are a new member here. One of the most imprortant features of this site is the SEARCH function. It is located up toward the right corner. If you do a search for "starting", I'm sure you will have plenty of reading to keep you busy for awhile!

Welcome aboard!

Dennis

• DR.Zaius

Posted April 22, 2002 - 03:43 PM

I don't know 'bout you guys, but I push a button.
heHA! :)
Just pullin your nuts. :D

• txthumper

Posted April 22, 2002 - 03:49 PM

dont feel bad..i have a 426 bought new..i have had it 5 months and still have my fair share of troubles...but only when cold and if i haul it somewhere without draining the carb..i cant understand it..the bike runs great but if i dont drain the carb before hauling it you can forget about cranking it...but ni kiddin, the blue wire trick done all the good for hot starts, fires first kick, even if i stall it..good luck..they are nice bikes, just kinda moody you might say :D :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 22, 2002 - 05:00 PM

Maybe if you can tell us exactly what you're doing to try to start it then we can try to give you pointers. I'm not sure where else to start. My '01 is completely stock and it starts very easily, hot or cold, so I don't think there is a design related issue with the starting on the '01. If you're not getting a good kick then that can definitely make a difference. Are you tall enough to get a full authoratative kick when you try to start it?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.