Frictions Plates and Z-Start

4 replies to this topic
  • Dano426

Posted March 31, 2004 - 12:22 PM

I just got my Z-Start in :) can't wait, but I have to also put in new frictions plates. I have never done a clutch before, so if anyone has any tricks I would love to here them.

Should I put in the new friction plates and the Z-start in at the same time or should I get the clutch working first, then install the Z-start? Any thoughts

Thanks in advance
Dan

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 31, 2004 - 12:38 PM

Dan

Are you refering to the Plates that came with the Zstart?

Or are you refering to new Fiber Plates?

If new Fiber here is what I would do

Before installing the Zstart
Replace all the fiber plates first by

1: Soak the new fiber in clean new oil over night
2: Carefully remove the plates and keeping them in order
3: Install the new plates in the order they were removed.
4: Button it up and go for a ride.

Breaking in the new fiber. Bring it back and follow the instructions to the letter for the zstart its a breeze.

Or if you are real anxious

Omit step 4 and install Zstart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dano426

Posted March 31, 2004 - 01:43 PM

Or if you are real anxious

Yes I am talking about new fiber plates

Oh yeah! you could say I,m a little anxious :), but I have never done a clutch before. I think one step at a time would not be a bad thing. Thanks for the info

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 31, 2004 - 03:05 PM

No worries good luck

Its a breeze

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted April 01, 2004 - 03:54 AM

I agree. Do one thing at a time. My buddy installed new friction disk and the Z-start at the same time. He had trouble at first, but it was because he did soak the new friction plates in oil. The bike would stall when he put it in gear, but once he rode it for about 10 minutes the stalling quit. We believe it was because there was no oil in between the plates.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.