VALVE ADJUSTMENT - NEED YOUR ADVICE

8 replies to this topic
  • gal

Posted April 22, 2002 - 04:03 AM

I WANT TO KNOW IF U GUYS ADVICE ME TO ADJUST MY VALVES BY MY SELF OR GO TO THE MECHANIC. MY MECHANICAL EXPIRIENCE IS AS FOLLOWS:
I ALWAYS DO REGULAR SERVICES BY MY SELF
I CHANGED FORK OIL BY MY SELF
I INSTALLED TY DAVIS FLYWHEEL WEIGHT
I CHECKED VALVE CLEARENCE ONCE ( LAST SUNDAY)
AND ALL THE SMALL THINGS THAT ALL US DO (BK MODE , FILTERS ETC.)
DO U THINK I CAN DO IT ONLY FROM THE MANUAL AND FROM THE POSTS IN T.T ???

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 22, 2002 - 04:11 AM

Gal

You can do it !! :)

If you have done all of the work yourself so far dont stop. With the gang here you will save yourself plenty of bucks, as well as gain a vast knowledge of your bike.

Posted April 22, 2002 - 05:29 AM

If you don't have them already get the shop manual,a 3/8 torque wrench that reads 8lbs and a quality assemble lube, and take your time. :)

• gal

Posted April 22, 2002 - 07:03 AM

i have a torque wrench that reads 12-60nm, how important is the to close the cams bolts on 10nm and the tensioner bolt on 7nm?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted April 22, 2002 - 07:19 AM

Its important to stay in spec on any eng torque spec. I am not sure the conversion from nm to ftlbs,

Anyone :)

Sounds like you have to heavy a torque wrench

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• bassr_#186

Posted April 22, 2002 - 10:17 AM

Another bit of advice: mark the timing chain and the cam gears before disassembly so that you don't have to fumble around on reassembly trying to play connect the dots.

• jamracing

Posted April 22, 2002 - 10:31 AM

For the first time, I would put a zip-tie around the cam chain and intake cam sprocket, since it will be staying on the bike. You can also call me with any questions. Got a web-cam? :)

• gal

Posted April 24, 2002 - 11:10 PM

thanks jamracing
ill call u and i have a digital cam so ill take pics , but not live ones...

• Boit

Posted April 25, 2002 - 07:18 PM

bassr, that's the same advice I've been giving for ages. How do you mark your cam sprockets in relation to the chain? I make a small "V" mark with an engraving bit in my Dremel tool on the side of the chain plate above each sprocket's punch mark. Talk about making things so much easier!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.