Torque wrench.......Tools?

5 replies to this topic
  • wylie1

Posted April 21, 2002 - 12:40 PM

I was reading on another post and it was mentioned not to go cheap on a torque wrench. This makes alot of since, and I think that putting a little more money in good tools is alot better than not going riding because I have to stay home and fix a stripped bolt. On the other hand, I do not really want spend the money on the (Snap-On) name. I have one of those cheap torque wrenches, that I am going to replace ASAP and I was thinking about getting one of the 3/8" drive Husky torque wrenches from Home Depot. So what brand torque wrench would you guys recommend? And is there any other tools that we should not go cheap on?

[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: wylie1 ]

• cowboyona426

Posted April 21, 2002 - 01:46 PM

Just about any torque wrench with a dial on the handle that twists to the appropriate measurement, not the needle type, from a quality tool store should be fine. The Husky one from Home Depot is probably okay. You really shouldn't go cheap on any tools, especially specialty tools like spanner wrenches etc. A few more dollars spent on a tool is a lot better to me than stripped or broken parts on my bike.

• Pazzo_P

Posted April 21, 2002 - 02:42 PM

I'd spend a few $ more and pick up a Craftsman "Digitork", it's easier to set and read, plus I'm pretty sure when needed it can be sent back and recalibrated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxcowboy

Posted April 21, 2002 - 04:12 PM

Craftsman about $90 I think, because you break a socket with a impact they replace it with no questions asked try to find a snap-on dealer at 6:00 on a saturday or anyday for that matter.....

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 22, 2002 - 12:41 AM

I personally like craftsman. I have some husky sockets and after breaking 2 in a row trying to remove a stuck bolt on a friends car, we bought a craftsman to replace the broken sockets and it took the bolt right off. I've got craftsman torque wrenches and they have been fine for me so far. I'm weary of the accuracy of models that cover a hudge range so I got 2 wrenches, one for smaller bolts (up to about 29Nm) and one for larger bolts (over 32Nm). They are the dial type (I agree to avoid the needle type, almost impossible to be accurate). I got them on sale for about $60/ea if I remember correctly. Here are the lables if this helps:

Posted Image

Posted Image

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: sirthumpalot ]

• YZ400Court

Posted April 22, 2002 - 05:04 AM

Selecting the Correct Torque Range— For the most accurate performance, the maximum torque you're applying should fall near the middle of the tool's torque range. For example, if you're applying 50 ft.-lbs. of torque, it would be better to choose a wrench with a range of 5 to 100 ft.-lbs., rather than a range of 5 to 50 ft.-lbs.

Accuracy— Accuracy is usually given for 20-100% of a tool's torque range. For example, if the torque range is 20 to 120 in.-lbs., the accuracy statement is true for measurements between 40 and 120 in.-lbs. Below 20% of the torque range, the tool's accuracy often drops off significantly.

Click type:
Wrenches signal when torque setting is reached with an audible "click", an impulse in the grip, and a momentary release. Accuracy, for 20-100% of torque range, is ±4% of the torque setting for clockwise use and ±6% of the torque setting for counterclockwise use

Round-Beam Torque Wrenches :
Round-beam wrenches offer an economical way to measure torque. Wrench is steel with a plastic grip that pivots and transmits torque directly to the indicator needle for a precise reading. Dial has a diecast metal base plate and shows units in in.-lbs and cm-kg, or ft.-lbs. and m-kg. Wrenches torque clockwise and counterclockwise; accuracy is ±4% of torque reading for 20-100% of torque range

Flat Beam:
Flat-beam wrenches are the most accurate nonelectronic torque tool. They have few moving parts, so there's less friction and maintenance. Memory pointers show the maximum torque reached. The grip pivots to concentrate the load at a precise point on the lever; this ensures torque accuracy when adapters and extensions are used. Accuracy is ±2% of torque reading for 20-100% of torque range

All above from the following web pages. http://www.mcmaster..../html/2602.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.