handlebar width , any suggestions

13 replies to this topic
  • eastcoastguy

Posted March 30, 2004 - 03:21 PM

just got a new set of renthal bars, stock bars didn't make but a few miles on the new wr.
lots of trees where we ride. i was thinking of taking off 1" per side. :) :D :D

• WR_Dave

Posted March 30, 2004 - 03:24 PM

We ride alot of tight single track here on the eastern slopes of the Rockies and my personal preference seems to be 30" bars and 31 1/2" to the outsides of the barkbusters. Hope that helps--WR Dave. :)

• eastcoastguy

Posted March 30, 2004 - 03:34 PM

thanks, sounds like a beautiful place to ride.

• Moon

Posted March 30, 2004 - 04:36 PM

I run mine close to WR Dave there. Usually, about 1/2 - 3/4 off each side. Things to consider when cutting bars.
1) Will all the controls, handguards and accessories still fit on the remaining bar
2) The shorter you cut them the higher the chance of getting head shake (provided you ride fast choppy stuff) because it reduces your leverage.
3) If you like and ride in tight stuff, shortened aluminum bars is a must

• iNSaNe

Posted March 30, 2004 - 04:49 PM

Like said above, don't cut them down too far. Depends on your strength too, fighting headshake usually doesn't help but if you hit a rock you need to be able to keep it straight.

One of my dad's riding buddies died about 20 years ago due to cut down bars. He hit a rock and couldn't get a hold on it, the bike headshook out of control and he went over the bars into a tree. He was wearing full safety gear too.

• crushedreams

Posted March 30, 2004 - 05:03 PM

You can always take more off, but you cant put it back on. Think about that before wackin a inch off.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 30, 2004 - 05:33 PM

28" is as narrow as you can go. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted March 30, 2004 - 05:37 PM

lots of trees around here. i run mine at 29'.

oops, kinda hard finding cables at 29'wide. 29"

• crushedreams

Posted March 30, 2004 - 06:10 PM

You got some long arms. :)

• eastcoastguy

Posted March 31, 2004 - 02:17 AM

thanks for the advice, after work today i will measure them stock and make a decision on how much to cut off.
and for you guys riding the rockies, wow.. need any company

• KentuckyWR

Posted March 31, 2004 - 03:22 AM

As narrow as you can get them and still fit all the "stuff" on your bars!!!
Especially if you ride in the East!!

• wrooster

Posted March 31, 2004 - 05:40 PM

guys,

if you buy YZ85 bars they come 29.5" or 30" wide stock, so no cutting. better still, the length of the crossbar on the YZ85 bars (on bars so equipped) is such that there is MORE room to mount stuff on the bars. in effect, the crossbar is a bit shorter and that frees up room to mount your stuff.

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• Greg_C

Posted April 01, 2004 - 09:35 AM

guys,

if you buy YZ85 bars they come 29.5" or 30" wide stock, so no cutting. better still, the length of the crossbar on the YZ85 bars (on bars so equipped) is such that there is MORE room to mount stuff on the bars. in effect, the crossbar is a bit shorter and that frees up room to mount your stuff.

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

Jim you beat me to it. I am running Mini bars and so far I am very happy with them. With the E-Start and Kill switch it is hard to fit it all in with cut bars. I wanted to avoid getting all of the adapters required to get fat bars to work with stock triple clamps and hand guards.

• willy_fitz

Posted April 01, 2004 - 01:59 PM

The other advantage to mini bars is that if you go with a tall bend there is enough room to mount a Scott damper in the "enduro" position and have room for a computer and gps.

willy fitz

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.