Why do people convert a WR to a YZ?

28 replies to this topic
  • r_dawg1021

Posted March 30, 2004 - 02:58 PM

I've been reading for a couple months now and still haven't figured out the motive for this. Why would someone buy the WR and do all the mods (Cam, grey wire, etc..) to get it up to par with a YZ? Seems like you could just buy a YZ and throw the lights\heavier flywheel on it and it would be cheaper than doing what people are doing. I personally bought the WR for trail riding and didnt want an MX bike. Is that not the general thinking for buying it?
I realize a lot of guys do trail ride with all these mods, but that brings me back to why didnt they just buy a YZ to begin with..buy a YZ and a heavier flywheel\light kit and save your cash. Please don't flame, I'm just trying to understand what the thinking is. :)

• jc777

Posted March 30, 2004 - 03:07 PM

I bought the bike because I wanted a bike to learn a little on but still wanted good power and trail capabilities,And I knew the power was available if i wanted it.

• The_Blue_One

Posted March 30, 2004 - 03:18 PM

I bought the wr and started yzing it beause i wanted the tranny. I had a yz450 and for me the 4 speed didn't work.I sold it and bought the wr and love it but didn't really want the e-start or rear light or a few other wr parts. :)

• Moon

Posted March 30, 2004 - 04:28 PM

I bought the WR for all the extra ammenities. e-start, kick stand, larger tank, odometer, lights, 18" rear tire, etc. I did the basic inexpensive hop ups. I hare scramble mine and really wanted the extra power. I can't imagine riding one without at least cutting the throttle stop and unplugging the exhaust.

• YamahaSteve

Posted March 30, 2004 - 04:30 PM

I wanted the e-start, 5 speed, the sidestand (yeah, make fun of me if ya want) and the lights. At the same time I also wanted the YZ power. I still have not installed the YZ cam, but I heard it makes a pretty good difference.

Basically, it is easier to make a WR have a YZ motor than it is to make a YZ into a WR.

• b-bike

Posted March 30, 2004 - 05:51 PM

Basically, it is easier to make a WR have a YZ motor than it is to make a YZ into a WR.

Not that I don't think you have a point here, But...
I've been in the slow process of WRing my YZ from the day I bought it new.
*lighting coil
*headlight
*flywheel weight
ect. ect. I've just taken my time in doing all that stuff to it. I waited for used parts here in TT and new parts where needed. The only thing I think that would be to expencive to do without having to replace broken parts is the tranny. However now that I'v installed a 52 tooth rear sproket, the gearing is great for the tight trails.

Just my 2-cents

Boyd

• lipskid

Posted March 30, 2004 - 06:02 PM

I think a YZ would need a larger gas tank, suspension work, and flywheel weight, for off-road. Probably $1,000.00 worth of mods. But it still would have a four speed trans, no kick-stand, no lights, and 19" rear wheel. It would be very expensive to convert a YZ to a WR.(Not to mention the E-Start)

I can unplug, strip off lights, kick-stand, puke bottle, and odometer, from my WR, and go racing. Then easily put any or all of it back on for trail riding, and it's virtually free. A YZ cam is less than $150, and when I get to it, a plug for the starter hole probably won't cost much. Then I can shed more pounds for racing( and put it back when I want). All that and a wide ratio transmission on top. :) :D

WR to YZ = cheap + versatile(sp?)
YZ to WR = expensive + not so versatile

• r_dawg1021

Posted March 30, 2004 - 08:07 PM

Lipskid, those are good points. I'm actually going to be gearing up for some motard racing this year. It'll be nice to be able to convert the bike from trail to tard fairly easily. I'm not expecting to really compete in motard but it'll be nice to know I am not the absolute slowest person on the track :)

So I guess the real point is that it's a lot cheaper in the long run to go with the WR. Paying that extra $100 or whatever for it definately is worth the "extras" you get. I am suprised anyone would by a YZ with the trail riding mindset.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm seeing the light now.

• Hamish

Posted March 31, 2004 - 01:28 AM

Down here in Oz WR's are road registered, thats my reason for getting one :)
Hamish

• comp182

Posted March 31, 2004 - 04:56 AM

Um lets see I do trail ride but the trans on the yz is a little to close for trail riding. And lets see what did the Grey wire, BK mod, Yz timing (02 4260) cost me as far as $$$$$. Oh yea NOTHING. So for nothing I have the ultimate WR for my riding style.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted March 31, 2004 - 04:56 AM

WR was much easier to street legal here in Canada.
Did you ever price a lighting coil for a YZ ? :)

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted March 31, 2004 - 04:59 AM

Down here in Oz WR's are road registered, thats my reason for getting one :D
Hamish

Yep, same here. :) I've done all the YZ mod's, but can still ride legally on the street. I live about 2-3 km's from some trails, and it's great to be able to ride there, rather than trailer my bike. :D

• jwriott

Posted March 31, 2004 - 06:15 AM

If I could have bought a YZ with a wide ratio gear box and SA and lighting coil, I would have. The YZ's are so much lighter and they run right without all the messing around.

• JVP

Posted March 31, 2004 - 09:17 AM

I bought the WR for one reason. The E-Start. I blew out my left knee two years ago and I don't want to be on the side of a trail trying to kick start my bike standing on my left leg.:D I do like power! :)

• MonK_E

Posted March 31, 2004 - 11:01 AM

my reason for going for the WR and not the YZ is i wanted something in between both of them, something i could ride in tight woods and something i could really blast when i wanted, you know a real all round bike. the WR is so much easier to mod to get this compromise and i can cane it on the road as well. it really was the only choice for me. :)

• simon@vic

Posted March 31, 2004 - 11:33 AM

Why would someone buy the WR and do all the mods (Cam, gray wire, etc..)

well you shouldn't really bunch the above mods together. the gray wire, thort stop stop, air box, and jetting {on US bikes} is just to turn a smoged bike into a WR450. from there you can build it into a YZ if needed. cam, pipe........

does that make any sense?

• WRSTEVE

Posted March 31, 2004 - 01:05 PM

Hmmm... Where to begin?
I had just got back into riding dirt in 2000 from a 6yr drout, my past bike was a 94 banshee and the bike before that was a 85 CR250, so I really did not know what to buy when I wanted to start back up. In 2000 I didn't even know there was such thing as a 4-stroke dirt bike :) all of my past bikes had been 2 strokes so thats what I looked for.
I had about 3,500 bucks to spend. I found a very very clean CR500 and purchased it. I was pretty scared of the bike at 1st since this was a totally different animal to ride. I finally got used to riding it but still though it was scary :D
One day in June of 02 my Brother inlaw calls me and says " I just got a Yamaha YZ426F" Since riding for a couple of yrs now, I now know of these bad ass 4-strokes. We end up riding that weekend and he let me test drive it and boy what a difference it was compared to my old 500. July of 02 came around and I had gotten the OK from the wife to go ahead and look for another bike :D.
I drove directly to the Yamaha dealer and said I want that YZ, then saw the WR!!! I was like WOW, bigger tank, kickstand, lights!!! I can make this street legal, and be able to ride longer distances. I got the WR and rode it for the 1st time the very next weekend and was like :D :D.. What a great bike, well that lasted about 5-6 months. I noticed my riding style had changed, I had become a better more confident rider than on my 500 and I wanted more. I converted my WR to YZ because for me it feels better. My bike handles much better now, it rips low-mid-top. I have said this in the past and I will say it again.. I should have got the YZ426F, but I didn't and it has only cost me about 300.00 to convert it if that. :usa:

• sjwr450

Posted March 31, 2004 - 03:24 PM

Your right, I'm going to sell mine. I realized I have much more fun on lighter bikes. I go 25% faster.

• b-bike

Posted March 31, 2004 - 06:32 PM

Hmmm... Where to begin?
One day in June of 02 my Brother inlaw calls me and says " I just got a Yamaha YZ426F" Since riding for a couple of yrs now, I now know of these bad ass 4-strokes. We end up riding that weekend and he let me test drive it and boy what a difference it was compared to my old 500. July of 02 came around and I had gotten the OK from the wife to go ahead and look for another bike :).
I drove directly to the Yamaha dealer and said I want that YZ, then saw the WR!!! I was like WOW, bigger tank, kickstand, lights!!! I can make this street legal, and be able to ride longer distances. I got the WR and rode it for the 1st time the very next weekend and was like :D :usa:.. What a great bike, well that lasted about 5-6 months. I noticed my riding style had changed, I had become a better more confident rider than on my 500 and I wanted more. I converted my WR to YZ because for me it feels better. My bike handles much better now, it rips low-mid-top. I have said this in the past and I will say it again.. I should have got the YZ426F, but I didn't and it has only cost me about 300.00 to convert it if that. :D

WRSTEVE: Glad to hear your YZ conversion is going great :usa:.

My WR conversion is doing quite well too :usa:.

O.K. boys...
When I bought my bike in Dec. 01 (last YZ in the shop). I paid $1200 less then asking price because it was the end of the year bike.

Now... we have a $$ figure to look at to off-set the savings I made for the end of modle year purchase.

*Trail Tech w/ billet guard $130
*Flywheel weight $70 (Used. Bought from a TTer)
*Head and tail lights $60 (Used. Bought from a TTer)
*Lighting coil $195
*Kick Stand $30
*52 Tooth sproket $30
*Spark Arrester $0 (self built) However, I just bought a stock WR-426 spark arrester from another TTer for $70 but I have not installed it yet
*Tank & Seat $0 (Sold YZ's to pay for WR's)
*18" rear wheel $0 (trade with WRSTEVE)

TOTAL $515.

Take that off the $1200 I a saved at purchase and you have a grand total of....

$680. That is still less then what they were asking for the new 02-WR's that were sitting on the show room floor.

That is why I chose to WR my YZ. :D :D
Pure and simple. It's a money thing.

Oh ya. Thanks WRSTEVE. I put the 18 incher on tonight and I love it. :lol: You da man.

Boyd

• sjwr450

Posted March 31, 2004 - 06:43 PM

Guess you received the sprocket he left at my house!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.