Homemade tools

8 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 16, 2001 - 06:27 PM

Does anyone have any good ideas on what to use as a homemade tool for sucking oil out of the forks to adjust the level?

Tonght I used a syringe with attached tubing but the oil expands the rubber plunger on the syringe and makes it very hard to use.

Any ideas so I dont have to go out and buy a expensive tool. Thanks,
Darin

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F
Enduro Heaven

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 16, 2001 - 06:34 PM

How about a cooking baster with a rubber tube attached to it???

• vincegatcore.com

Posted May 16, 2001 - 06:59 PM

I use a spice injector from my deepfry turky kit. its just a big syringe but is has been working for a coupe of years now

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 17, 2001 - 01:44 AM

Get some fuel line and suck real hard.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 17, 2001 - 03:11 AM

I use a turkey baster to move large amounts and a spray squirter off some kind of armoral or somethin like that to make more precise adjustments.

Nick

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 17, 2001 - 04:49 AM

Here's my setup. I use a MityVac, some 1/8" vinyl tubing and a straight section of a metal coat hanger. I marked off 10 mm increments with a sharpie on the section of coat hanger and I zip-tied the tubing to the very end of it so the end of the coat hanger and the end of the tube are flush. I connected the tubing to the MityVac. The stiff coat hanger allows me to push the tubing down to the fluid. The increments are marked on the coat hanger so I can readily see the depth. Finally, I use another zip tie at the desired depth mark so I'm consistent on each fork tube. As I'm writing this, I'm thinking about getting a thin metal tube to replace the vinyl tubing and coat hanger to streamline the operation.

Or, you can buy a fork oil level gauge from Motion Pro for $32.40.

• MN_Kevin

Posted May 17, 2001 - 05:03 AM

How about some clear, stiff tubing, marked off with a Sharpie Marker. attach this to some flex tubing. Find some kid to suck on the flex tubing while you set the level with the other, marked off, end. Make sure you give the kid a buck or two, and maybe some mouthwash! :)

------------------
'99 WZ with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 17, 2001 - 08:26 AM

Some good ideas. I might go with the baster and see how that works out and then Ill go with the more intricate set up later.

Kev, Is this from personal expierences? :)

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F
Enduro Heaven

• fitzy

Posted May 21, 2001 - 03:25 AM

I made a homemade setup as follows and it works well. Get a piece of copper tube about 800mm long and attach a syring of some sort to one end with a piece of clesr tubing. Next get a piece of timber approx 40mm x 40mm x 80mm long. Drill a hole right through 1 40mm side,so that the copper tube will slide snuggly through the timber. Now there are 2 ways of doing the next step, but basicaly u want to hold the copper pipe in place so it can't move accept when you want it to.U can put a hose clamp around the copper pipe above the timber, or drill another hole at 90 deg to the first but only go in till you hit the first hole, now tap a thread in the second hole and fit a bolt into so you can slide the copper pipe up and down and be able to lock it into any desired height.that's it , should take about 1/2 hour to knock up. All u do to set your oil height is set the distance from the end of the copper pipe to the bottom of the timber then sit the timber on top of the fork leg (with the pipe in the oil) and suck away till you get air. level set, do the same in the other leg and they will always be even.Need it 10mm higher, pour in some oil, loosen the locknut, slide the tube through 10mm and suck away again, easy as. Hope this helps. By the way ,I use a horse feeder syring from the local vet. nice and big

------------------
2001 wr400. still setting up

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.