Wr400

5 replies to this topic
  • yamW400R

Posted March 29, 2004 - 07:33 PM

i just bought a wr400 and the previous owner claims it had the yz timing done to it. From what i read it should have gained more mid and top end compared to the wr timing. My top end is horrible!! is there anyway to check the timing without tearing it down ? After 3rd gear it doesnt even feel like im pulling at all and the motor is just lugging with lack of RPM. I still need to do the throttle stop mod but im not impressed at all by the current performance

• qshark

Posted March 29, 2004 - 07:53 PM

If the trottle stop has not been modified it will make about a 100% increase in your performance when you do the mod. :)

• PMAUST

Posted March 29, 2004 - 08:19 PM

I have a WR400F with the YZ timing. Your problem is the throttle stop if it is still there! :) I can't imagine someone changing the timing and leaving the throttle stop. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamW400R

Posted March 29, 2004 - 08:44 PM

ya thats what i was thinking why would someone open the motor up and not know about the free mods doesnt make sense. how is the yz timing compared to wr? i need to kick my cousins a%% on a cr250 im doing the throttle stop and jetting tomorrow but might change the timing too

• PMAUST

Posted March 29, 2004 - 09:04 PM

ya thats what i was thinking why would someone open the motor up and not know about the free mods doesnt make sense. how is the yz timing compared to wr? i need to kick my cousins a%% on a cr250 im doing the throttle stop and jetting tomorrow but might change the timing too

YZ timing: I think it depends on what kind of riding you do and where you ride. In the more open areas I like the timing of the YZ better. In really tight woods riding I'm not sure there is really an advantage. I was learning when I had the bike so not sure I did everything the right way in the right order. But, here is what I did. I did the YZ timing first. Whoa, that was fun. The bike had a hit like you wouldn't believe. But, in the woods I wanted less wheel spin and more grunt. Plus, the bike would stall pretty easy if you got tired or lazy. So, I added the flywheel weight. That really helped a lot. I could lug the thing up nasty technical stuff. I wound up setting the bike up mostly for tight woods riding. I left the YZ timing and added a little lower gearing. I did the timing thing pretty early on so don't really remember what stock WR timing was like. But what I do know, is the bike ROCKS! I am just getting back into it after riding a KTM 520 for the last two years. My WR is not faster but it is plenty fast enough for the woods for which it was set up. I am having a blast with it. :)

• jchantzWR400F

Posted March 30, 2004 - 03:55 AM

Cut or replace the throttle stop. Make sure you have 12 pins between 12:00 timing marks in the cam chain (yz timed). Make sure that the air box lid is pulled. Open up the exhaust, or put a new pipe on. Make sure you're jetting is on and you'll be doing 3rd and 4th gear roll on wheelie's all day.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.