Broken Oil Galley Bolt

3 replies to this topic
  • amw66

Posted April 19, 2002 - 07:58 AM

Has anyone else broken the oil galley bolt when they were checking for oil pressure after changing the oil like the book says to do. I broke it with a torque wrench set at 13 or 14 ft lbs as specced. I have only had the bike for two weeks and it is brand new. When I took the other two bolts out so I could get the oil tube out, one of them was so tight it was scary and I remeber the one I broke being tight too on the first oil change.

• John_H

Posted April 19, 2002 - 08:44 AM

:) Can't help you with the bolt thing. I did check mine (for oil pressure) the first time and decided it was more trouble than it is worth.

:D One heads up: the drain bolt on the oil filter cover. Just messed up the threads. I believe it was from metal shavings that got in the threads. Good idea to clean then out first with a q-tip or something. Ben changing oil regularly for over a year and all the sudden it happens. Read an archived post also from the WR forum and got a fix for my problem

Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skthom2320

Posted April 19, 2002 - 05:58 PM

Yes there have been other reports of that. Don't sweat it too much.

Another one to look out for besides what john H mentioned is the bolt that holds the comrpession release lever in the cylinder head. You won't need to do anything with it until you adjust the valve clearance, but it is VERY easy to strip, even with a torque wrench. I have stripped mine (and fixed with a helicoil) and so have others...

Otherwise, 100+ hours and going strong!!

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 20, 2002 - 08:04 AM

Inexpensive torque wrenches are not always accurate. If you've got one of the $20 or $30 jobbies then you may want to make an investment in a better wrench to save yourself some trouble in the future.

As for the oil filter cover idea, the q-tip idea doesn't work (at least not for me). I tried it but it didn't get all of the metal out and my threads are boogered a little from it. Someone here suggested filling the drail hole with something to plug it up. This sounds like the best idea to me as I can never get anything to drain from there anyway.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.