Carb Cleaning

5 replies to this topic
  • dmxracing

Posted April 18, 2002 - 11:12 PM

I think I over-oiled my air filter and my carb might be clogged due to a bog. Is it OK to just remove the airbox boot and shoot some carb cleaner into the carb and the small ports? Or should I remove the carb and clean it? Thanks, this site is the best!!!

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 19, 2002 - 12:48 AM

I've shot carb cleaner into all of my jets before while the carb was in the bike (removed the float bowl and shot it in from there). This seemed to work OK BUT I had 0 compression when I tried to start it. I'm not sure why? I kicked it several times and it fired and the compression came back so I have no idea what caused the problem. From that day forward I've been removing the carb to clean it. :)

• skthom2320

Posted April 19, 2002 - 04:10 AM

If you overoiled the cleaner, take the carb off the airboot and the intake boot. You can just let it hang by the thottle cables/TPS sensor. Then you can easily get at the pilot air jet by removing the "thingie" that bolts onto the carb. Remove both jets underneath that, clean them and the passages out with carb cleaner.

While you are at it, remove the pilot jet from underneath, and clean that jet and passage.

If you are still getting "the bog" after that and you tweaked your fuel screw leaner with no improvement, try putting in a smaller pilot jet. For some reason I was getting a hanging idle if I went more than 1 turn in, but the bog remained. Once I changed to a smaller pilot (at 2 turns out), the bog went away. I've also leaned the needle one clip (clip position #3) because of the warmer more humid weather here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hootna

Posted April 19, 2002 - 05:50 AM

Yes I totally agree the carburetor should be totally torn down. You may think that it is oil but it could be some dirt or metal particles. Plus spraying carb cleaner into the carb and having it go into the engine may do harm to some seals or gaskets, its just not a good idea.

Hope you find the problem. Good Luck.

• RichB

Posted April 19, 2002 - 06:42 AM

Originally posted by skthom2320:

If you are still getting "the bog" after that and you tweaked your fuel screw leaner with no improvement, try putting in a smaller pilot jet. For some reason I was getting a hanging idle if I went more than 1 turn in, but the bog remained. Once I changed to a smaller pilot (at 2 turns out), the bog went away. I've also leaned the needle one clip (clip position #3) because of the warmer more humid weather here.

Agree with the above. I'm also one of the few that has also gotten way better performance by leaning out the needle 1 clip position. Right now I'm 42 pilot, needle 3rd pos, 165 main. No bog, no hanging idle. I like to use the spray on filter oil as I never can get a consistent coating that's not too oily with the dunk method. I know a lot of people love it but it just doesn't work for me.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted April 19, 2002 - 11:19 AM

I've been in mine several times and some on other bikes. The pilot is frequently plugged with nothing else affected. The oil comes through the pilot air jet and hangs in the pilot jet emulsifier tube. On the newer bikes with a 17mm bolt, you can get the pilot out to check/clean with just a twist w/o loosening the carb or throttle cables.

mwc

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.