Steering Head race removal...?

12 replies to this topic
  • SoundChaser

Posted April 18, 2002 - 03:42 AM

Hey Folks-
Those bearing races for the steering head, does anybody have a quick down and dirty way of removal or is this just a brute force and ingnorance method as described in the manual?
I did do a search, but was wondering if someone's got a tricker method than justhammering the piss outta them! ???? :)

• MOmilkman

Posted April 18, 2002 - 05:06 AM

Of course Im sure youre talking about the one that has to be pressed onto the stem. (the lower one)

I had someone tell me once to put it in the oven at about 350 degrees for 1.5 hours. Then turn it over and baste. Cook for another hour untill tender. :)

Seriously though, heating the metal should allow the metal to expand and the lower bearing to slide off. I tried this on my old XR and it did not work for me but it might for you.

Im not sure I would cook it at 350 (that might be a tad high) for very long. Use your best judgement.

Worth a try mabye?

Plus your wife cant say you dont ever cook anymore.

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: MOmilkman ]

• MX_Tuner

Posted April 18, 2002 - 06:51 AM

I think he's referring to the outer races. I have a bearing race chisel. It has a curved tip specifically for catching the small edge. And yes, you just need to hammer the old one out and the new one in.

The bearing on the steering stem is best removed by pressing the stem out of the triple clamp. This is quick and easy if you have a press and doesn't damage anything.

• SoundChaser

Posted April 18, 2002 - 07:07 AM

MX-
You are correct. I am refering to the outer races. The chisel you refer to, is this something I can get at the local autoparts store...something
like a ball-joint splitter ?

• MOmilkman

Posted April 18, 2002 - 07:24 AM

Oh, sorry. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 18, 2002 - 02:35 PM

You really dont have to hit the races all that hard to remove them. Reach up in the frame behind the races and there should be a small scalop in the sleeve for the race, for a punch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted April 18, 2002 - 03:23 PM

a small but very effective trick to pt them back in(new ones)

Place the new ones in a zip back stick them in the freezer over night.

Pior to placing the new one in heat the frame area with butain for few minutes. Then just drop the Frozeen "Shrunk" Races into the heated "Expanded" head.

Works great for case bearings also

• MX_Tuner

Posted April 19, 2002 - 01:10 AM

I've never seen a bearing chisel except on a tool truck. Mine is a Snap-On chisel.

• bassr_#186

Posted April 19, 2002 - 05:26 AM

EgoAhole

The freezer trick works great - I've been using it on press-in ball joints on cars/trucks for years.

• Mr_Toyz

Posted April 19, 2002 - 08:01 AM

Couple of tricks:

1. Any sort of blunt bar stock works fine as a punch. Just remember to tap all the way around the race.

2. To re-seat use a 2 inch ball from your truck hitch, works perfectly!

Mr Toyz

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 19, 2002 - 09:22 PM

I dont know about using ole trailer hitch method on the races, but the heat and freeze method is effort less.

You can warm the frame to help with removal also.

Just clean as much grease up as you can, and watch what your doing with the butane torch. Yer thumpers tank is thin, very very thin.

• Mr_Toyz

Posted April 19, 2002 - 01:41 PM

Trailer ball really works, it fits perfectly in the bottom race. Try it...

Mr Toyz

• SFO

Posted April 20, 2002 - 07:34 AM

for race removal I run a bead of weld around them and when the weld cools it shrinks the race and it falls out.
I learned this one from working on a d-8.
There is also a tool that is a split spool that is a factory tool, you insert a driver into the center of the halves and drive the races out.
Some bikes are designed without clearance behind the outer race and you have to use the weld trick or the tool.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.