Top Speed

36 replies to this topic
  • JVP

Posted March 29, 2004 - 12:54 PM

I was El Mirage this weekend. I got it up to 96.4 mph with the wind to my back. I finally beat my friend's KX500. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 29, 2004 - 01:05 PM

I think tire presures and road surface have al lot to do with it. I hit 88 mph on sandy dirt roads but I think I could go faster on pavement. :)

• endurodog

Posted March 29, 2004 - 02:36 PM

I was on a dry lake bed in Johnson Valley CA in Feb. My GPS had me at 90.1 My brother was on his KTM450 and blew by me. He said he looked down at his speedometer and saw a "4" but didn't look long enough to view the whole number, for obvious reasons. We figure he was doing 104 but can't verify it. I think it was that 6th gear the KTM has. I can't imagine ever needing that speed again.

• weekendtoy98DR

Posted March 29, 2004 - 02:41 PM

Just had my 525EXC up to it's top speed as of yet. Looooong flat fire road wide open in 6th my stock speedo read 96mph and she was screaming pretty good in 6th.Absolutely ripped through the 80's. I dont think there was all that much left in her. Gotta admit it is a E ticket rush though. The CR250 that was with me disappeared in a hurry.

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 29, 2004 - 04:04 PM

My XR600 with wood gearing still did 95mph. Normal stock gearing did a clip over 104mph.

The YZ426 does about low to mid 80s stock, which is enough!

• r_dawg1021

Posted March 29, 2004 - 04:13 PM

I was on a dry lake bed in Johnson Valley CA in Feb. My GPS had me at 90.1 My brother was on his KTM450 and blew by me. He said he looked down at his speedometer and saw a "4" but didn't look long enough to view the whole number, for obvious reasons. We figure he was doing 104 but can't verify it. I think it was that 6th gear the KTM has. I can't imagine ever needing that speed again.

Unless you did a speedo mod(Synch up gearing with speedo) the speedometer is not accurate after gearing changes. I am guessing that an indicated 104 would maybe be 90 tops. Just my opinion based on street experience.

• endurodog

Posted March 29, 2004 - 04:32 PM

Unless you did a speedo mod(Synch up gearing with speedo) the speedometer is not accurate after gearing changes. I am guessing that an indicated 104 would maybe be 90 tops. Just my opinion based on street experience.

Well he hasn't done anything to gearing. My speed was measured on a GPS which is pretty accurate and I was topped out on my WR at 90.1 and he flew by me, not just by a little either.

• crushedreams

Posted March 29, 2004 - 07:52 PM

I GPS'ed mine on pavement with 15lbs. front and rear, tucked down like riding a crotch rocket. It hit 93.4. Stock gearing. I hit those speeds quite a bit around the farm here, checking fields. I like goin fast. R.I.P. CBR 600. Gotta get R1.

• endurodog

Posted March 29, 2004 - 08:01 PM

A buddy of mine was telling me he saw the mid 170's on his R1, but he said he thought the speedo was off on it and he believed he was really doing in the 150's. That is waaaaayyyy out of my comfort zone.

• simon@vic

Posted March 29, 2004 - 08:15 PM

well Friday night at 11:30pm my X GF had the shop demo R1{we work at the same dealership}. she clocked me doing 167km on the packed dirt shoulder next to the highway with a slight head wind {15T CS sprocket}. i must say i have never gone that fast on a dirt bike let alone on dirt at night. needless to say im happy with the wr. at that speed the wind resistance is more then your traction and your rear tire starts spinning just a bit faster then your actually moving. its an amazing rush. im hooked :) :D

oh ya i forgot to mention the suspension works at that speed too. i was amazed how smooth it was.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted March 30, 2004 - 03:23 AM

If the speedo runs off of the front wheel, gearing changes wouldn't affect it. A larger or smaller front wheel would require a synch.

• BlueRules

Posted March 31, 2004 - 11:49 PM

gears have nothing to do with it, the speedos on the front wheel

• Moon

Posted April 01, 2004 - 10:52 AM

Correct. You calibrate the speedo to the wheel it is driven from. Gearing only affects motor rpm to wheel. If you are using an electronic with a standard 21" front tire. I have found 2155mm to be fairly accurate.

• r1superstar

Posted April 01, 2004 - 12:06 PM

A buddy of mine was telling me he saw the mid 170's on his R1, but he said he thought the speedo was off on it and he believed he was really doing in the 150's. That is waaaaayyyy out of my comfort zone.

All new Motorcycles from Japan are limited to 186MPH/ 300 KMH. Speedo error is good for about 11%. Even though peeps are seeing 330 plus KMH on their speedo, they are not going that fast. Here is the R1 you should get: Posted Image

• simon@vic

Posted April 01, 2004 - 01:20 PM

[quote Here is the R1 you should get:

[/QUOTE]

that is if you like tupperware torpidos :).
that aside, i just rode the 04 R1 and the new zx10 {fresh tires & 0km}. WOW. the both fu-king haul ass. kaiw feesl stronger in the power. but the yami puts its power doen better. and is a bit less twitchy.

• endurodog

Posted April 01, 2004 - 01:23 PM

My FZ1 has all the speed I need. I don't need all that on the street, I keep it pretty reasonable. Now the dirt is a different story.

• RPS

Posted April 01, 2004 - 09:41 PM

I went one larger on the counter shaft sprocket with pipe and rejet for Baja and my GPS said 102.6 mph max speed on pavement and 99.3 mph on level dirt road. A little tire slip I think.

Roger

• Hamish

Posted April 01, 2004 - 10:25 PM

with 14/50 gearing the GPS said 127km/h (80 MPH)
That was revvin pretty hard, but still not on the limiter

Hamish

• r1superstar

Posted April 02, 2004 - 04:27 AM

[QUOTE]
[quote Here is the R1 you should get:

[/QUOTE]

that is if you like tupperware torpidos :).
that aside, i just rode the 04 R1 and the new zx10 {fresh tires & 0km}. WOW. the both fu-king haul ass. kaiw feesl stronger in the power. but the yami puts its power doen better. and is a bit less twitchy.

[/QUOTE]

"Tupperware Torpedo", Never heard that one before. To each their own... :D

The Kawi makes a slight bit more power (3-4 RWBHP)and weighs a couple pounds (4-6 lbs.) lighter. You stand correct to say that the Yami gets the power down better. Probably why Yami is kicking Kawi's but in racing thus far.

But the Yami feels better between the legs.

• x2smoker

Posted April 02, 2004 - 08:31 AM

All new Motorcycles from Japan are limited to 186MPH/ 300 KMH. Speedo error is good for about 11%. Even though peeps are seeing 330 plus KMH on their speedo, they are not going that fast.

Since when are they limited to 186MPH? :) My buddies stock Hayabusa was clocked at 197MPH!

The speedo on my 600 was reading 154 when I was clocked at 146, so I agree there is error on most speedo's, but it varies bike to bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.