tag or renthall

12 replies to this topic
  • ltrosson

Posted April 17, 2002 - 01:56 PM

I want to put new bars on my 426, do I want to put tag or renthall. T & T cycle sells tag for $85 and $100. for the renthall twin walls. For now I guess I would use the universal mounting kit, unless ya'll say otherwise. One more question, what about the rise, med. or high as I don't have a clue. :)

• cowboyona426

Posted April 17, 2002 - 02:00 PM

Go with the TAG T-5 bars. I have a pair on my 426 and love them. I bought these after bending my McGrath bend Renthals. The T-5 are the same OD as standard bars but are thicker walled, so new TC's or oversize mount kits aren't necessary. If you ride trails like I do and run aluminum hand guards, you may have to cut the bar insert down a little (the bars are standard diameter on the ends for aluminum hand guards).

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 17, 2002 - 02:06 PM

The Renthal products have left a bad taste in my mouth, not to mention my wallet. I went with protapers after my fat bars got bent. Bend and sweep is a matter of taste.

• DPW

Posted April 17, 2002 - 02:31 PM

Here's some tips for selecting a bend http://www.protaper.com/tips.html , but like Shawn said its a matter of taste

• BIGBLOKE

Posted April 18, 2002 - 05:52 PM

Did anyone see the back cover of the latest Transworld Mx Mag? Its a protaper ad stating how much stronger there bar is compared to other OS bars.

• Fireballsocal

Posted April 18, 2002 - 07:41 PM

Great sig Cowboy!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • osheen

Posted April 18, 2002 - 09:19 PM

I've broken two sets of renthals at the crossbar. Guess which brand I bought the 3rd time around?

• EMXOEE

Posted April 19, 2002 - 05:24 AM

T & T cycle sells tag for $85 and $100. for the renthall twin walls.

Where can I find this T & T Cycle?? Thanks.

• Hootna

Posted April 19, 2002 - 05:34 AM

I run Renthals but not the Twin walls as they are way to stiff and have had problems with breakage. I have never has a problem with the Renthal FatBars bending or breaking in a crash although like any of the bars under the right load conditions they will bend or break too.

The TAG bars look to be a good quality bar and I would buy them if given the choice between TAG and Twinwalls. The twinwalls are way to stiff for me I prefer to run a solid top mount from EMIG racing which keeps the twisting of the bars/clamps to a minimum but also allows the flexing (UP & DOWN) that is not present or minimal with a crossbar like the Twinwalls.

• ltrosson

Posted April 22, 2002 - 12:41 PM

My mistake on T&T cycle, it is Tommys Cycle , he has a 800 number, but the only number I have for him is (870) 231-3006, he is local for me.

• Jeff_Bailey

Posted April 22, 2002 - 02:36 PM

I've been running Windham bend Twinwalls on my 426 for a year now and love them. Second pair (first pair had a little arguement when a tie down failed on a back road at 45 mph. The sight of my bike dragging itself upside down on the pipe and bars about killed me!) The twinwalls do transfer a little more to your hands which can feel a little harsh if you come up short on a big landing though. But I've never bent or broken any. It makes me wonder just how hard you have to crash to break them. Are we talking about a sever crash like Pingree had when his KTM siezed in mid-air and snapped in half when it smacked the face of a jump in a recent supercross? Or are we talking about a routine crash?Posted Image

• Unibomber

Posted April 22, 2002 - 06:45 PM

Just helped my Bro put on some Tags, they appear to be great bars and Im thinking of making them my next bar replacment, the only problem we had with installation was with his Acerbis Pro hand gaurds, there is a small taper about an 1.5 inches inside the bar which prevents ya from slidding in that spreader bolt (or whatever it is), we had to use pro taper installion bolt in order to get the dam hand gaurds on. Something to keep in mind if your runnin Cerbis Pro's.

• rvanliere

Posted April 23, 2002 - 06:11 PM

Get the Pro-Tapers they are in that price range . They have always stood behind them . Why most reputable dealers stock them . They work great with Cycra Pro-bend handguards . Also universal mounting kit is strong enough for bad spills . I have crashed pretty hard and never ever worried about the bars .

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.