Thinking of trading my WR 400F for a YZ 250F. Please give me your thoughts

5 replies to this topic
  • Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted April 17, 2002 - 10:34 AM

A little advice sought from the wise ones:

I’m think of selling my 00 WR 400 and buying a used 01 or 02 YZ 250F. I love my WR and its still going strong, but after 2 years it still feels heavy to me. It seems hard to turn on the MX tracks and I think I could use stiffer suspension. I have done all the YZ mods and have had the suspension stiffened through a revalve job (kept the springs the same). I have ridden a buddy’s RM 250, and weight wise it felt great. Much more fun for me. But I still want my four stroke power delivery.

I haven’t ridden the 250F yet but I have a friend who said I could spend some time on his to get a feel. I am 6”00 180 lbs. I have talked to some guys plus checked out this issue on 250F board, its seems like most guys who are my size and have made the switch are extremely happy. To be honest, I’m not sure I use all of my power now. So I’m thinking less power won’t be that much of an issue except for the sand. I don’t even do that much high speed flat out riding. I’m also thinking YZ instead of WR, because think I am trying to make my current WR into a YZ anyway. Plus, on the MX track there are lots of times when I’m too high or too low in a particular gear and just can’t get it right. For the trails I just back the clickers off some and put my big tank on.

It seems like the switch would be more fun. I just hope I don’t have to forfeit my rights to coming to the WR and YZ 400 boards. I’ve got too many friends here. Fire away with your thoughts. Thanks

• cowboyona426

Posted April 17, 2002 - 02:21 PM

First off, switching to a YZ if you're riding the track is definitely a good idea. I would stick to a 400 or 426 if I were you. I have an 00 426 and I wouldn't trade it for the world! I never ride mine on the track, however. I geared mine down two teeth on the front for the tight, twisty trails. I haven't rode the 250F yet, so I can't give you any info on that. What I can tell you is that my 426 is a beast and I wouldn't give it up for the world.

• jdyfletch

Posted April 17, 2002 - 03:16 PM

I've ridden a WR, Its pretty tame, I have a 00426 and agree I would not trade it for the world. If I were you I would fine someone w/a 426, see if you can spend some time on it, I think it will change your mind.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoman393

Posted April 17, 2002 - 04:36 PM

I love the 250f, so far I have ridden 4 of them! I really love the weight (or lack of LOL) and you can keep it pinned the whole time. I believe I am faster on the 250f (endurance wise) but I can "sprint" 3-4 laps much faster on my 426... there is no replacement for displacement. Thats why I think next years YZ450 will be the best of both worlds, light and a HP monster! Did I mention the 250f is fun to ride :) Later,

Garrett

• ExtremeYZ400

Posted April 17, 2002 - 04:50 PM

I own a YZ400 and love it. I have taken a few rides on a 02 YZF250. You are right about the weight. The 400’s weigh about 30 lbs more than 250’s, but you sacrifice a lot of power!!!!!!!!!
If weight is a big problem just take some powder out of your purse and put it on your hands for better grip with a heavier bike. Do yourself a favor and switch to a YZ400 or YZ426. Before you do anything, take a few laps on a YZF250 and see for yourself. Good luck

• Harold_in_So_Cal

Posted April 18, 2002 - 07:54 AM

Thanks guys. Its funny. 400/426 guys like their bikes just like the 250f guys like theirs. Gotta love loyalty. I'll have to spend some time on the big and little YZ's.

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Harold in So Cal ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.