Acerbis vs Clark vs IMS Fuel tank on WR450?

12 replies to this topic
  • gloft

Posted March 29, 2004 - 06:40 AM

From what I've read searching the archives, a lot of folks seem to like the way the IMS/ZIP Ty tank carries the weight lower. But I also see that the dual petcock setup is a hassle. Any experiences with these tanks would be much appreciated. :)

• SBG

Posted March 29, 2004 - 09:04 AM

I can tell you I love my Clarke tank. But the extra .2 isn't about mpg, it's about getting a nice new color. I think that really goes for most of these tanks if you own a WR. If you have a YZF, I can honestly this tank shouldn't hinder your abilities one bit. Some of the weight is up higher, but you won't have petcock issues either.

• comp182

Posted March 29, 2004 - 09:20 AM

I have had both on my bike. I have the IMS Ty Davis tank now. If I hade to do it again I would go with the Clarke. For the money you just cant beat it. The dual outlet is a pain in the a$$ especially on the road. It also puts the fuel line way to close for confort to the header. I am running a steel braided line becuase of it.

• ddialogue

Posted March 29, 2004 - 03:39 PM

I'm running the ZipTy Racing 3.3 gallon tank. I like it better because it's skinnier and flatter than the stocker. I looked at the Acerbis/GYT-R tank but my nuts hurt just looking at it. :) The WR450 IMS/ZipTy tank doesn't use two petcocks like the WR426 models but the ZipTy version does have a secondary line routed from the right-hand side to the left. It's a pain in the butt to deal with when you want to take off the tank, but when it's on it's all good. :D

• gloft

Posted March 30, 2004 - 03:32 AM

I've got a dual-sport coming up with 80 mile loops and no gas stop. I have not run out of gas YET, but usually need reserve around 50 miles. I ride a lot of single track at race speeds so I may get better mileage in a DS event, but I can't imagine getting more than 65 or 70 miles out of my stock tank. Think I will buy the ZIP Ty tank since I really like the slim profile and weight carried lower. Any else have an opinion before I lay down $250.00? :)

• ddialogue

Posted March 30, 2004 - 04:08 AM

I've got photos of it installed if you'd like to see what it'll be like on your bike. Just PM me your email address.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • N7SLC

Posted March 30, 2004 - 04:32 AM

I've got a dual-sport coming up with 80 mile loops and no gas stop. I have not run out of gas YET, but usually need reserve around 50 miles. I ride a lot of single track at race speeds so I may get better mileage in a DS event, but I can't imagine getting more than 65 or 70 miles out of my stock tank. Think I will buy the ZIP Ty tank since I really like the slim profile and weight carried lower. Any else have an opinion before I lay down $250.00? :D

DS is the only way to go.

Ddialogue's bro-in-law went 83 miles in Moab last week on his WR450
with the stock tank before hitting reserve.

These big singles get great mileage on the road. :)

• FTD

Posted March 30, 2004 - 06:36 AM

I have not run out of gas YET, but usually need reserve around 50 miles.

Your running too rich IMO. Should get better than that!!
Hoss

• gloft

Posted March 30, 2004 - 12:49 PM

I've got photos of it installed if you'd like to see what it'll be like on your bike. Just PM me your email address.

I was parked next to Ty Davis and co at the Alligator Enduro in Daytona a few weeks back. They were running YZ 2-smokes but I did get a chance to look at his tanks. If the WR version is similar I think I'd like it. I'll PM you my email address.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 30, 2004 - 01:57 PM

I think the GYT-R Acerbis looks great and is narrow. It holds its gas higher like a wr426 at the cap but who puts there nuts there anyway? :D I have mine set up so I can switch back and forth with the stock one. I prefer the stock set up for protecting the radiator better. :)

• gloft

Posted March 31, 2004 - 05:48 PM

I think the GYT-R Acerbis looks great and is narrow. It holds its gas higher like a wr426 at the cap but who puts there nuts there anyway? :D I have mine set up so I can switch back and forth with the stock one. I prefer the stock set up for protecting the radiator better. :)

Indy. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of your bike with the Acerbis tank would you?

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 01, 2004 - 02:39 AM

I am riding in Moab this week and going home next Wednesday and then riding 4 days at LBL got to keep my mileage up I am trying to ge to 10,000. miles by September. :)
Anyway when I get back after Easter I can email pics comparing the 2 tanks mounted from the exact same views.
Otherwise there are pics already on this forum. here is the link: http://www.yamahaoft...peCode=&Second=

• SBK

Posted April 01, 2004 - 09:03 AM

Greg, there are also pics of the Acerbis WR450/YZ450 tank in natural in this thread here on the WR board. Thanks again to "bajabunk" (another Greg!) for sending them my way a while back.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.