More 4th gear failures on '01 bikes???

5 replies to this topic
  • skthom2320

Posted April 15, 2002 - 09:06 PM

I keep seeing these 4th gear failures on '01 bikes. Mine has close to 100 hours on it now.

Is there any value in opening it up and replacing 4th gear (when yammie delivers the new parts) BEFORE it breaks and causes worse damage?

• 98yz

Posted April 15, 2002 - 10:56 AM

What is the problem with the 01's and 4th gear?

• skthom2320

Posted April 15, 2002 - 11:11 AM

See the following thread:

threclick here

Maybe I should have said "I keep READING" about this tranny problem that a few TTers are having.

I didn't mean to spook anyone.

Like I said, I have almost a 100 hours and no problems yet. I just was thinking of putting the new parts in BEFORE there is a real problem and was wondering if anyone though I was crazy. :)

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: skthom2320 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frenchy

Posted September 09, 2002 - 03:59 AM

Fourth gear just failed in my '01 426. I have almost two years on this bike with no problems. Tore it down to find one tooth missing completely on the output shaft. Fortunately, I caught it in time to prevent any more damage, so just fourth gear needs replacing, and double that cost for all the gaskets!

• sixinchsloth

Posted September 09, 2002 - 08:54 AM

My buddy just replaced his 3rd gear in his '00 426. I hope my '01 holds up I just replaced a cracked gas tank!

• oldnbold

Posted September 10, 2002 - 10:05 AM

just replaced 4th in my '00. Just guessing had about 150-175 hrs of 99% motocross. Lost a tooth but didn't damage anything else.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.