clutch lengthening

13 replies to this topic
  • Striker

Posted April 15, 2002 - 07:33 AM

Just wondering if anyone has any info or has lengthened out their clutch on a 426? Is the clutch pull noticeably easier? Looks fairly simple to do, would appreciate any feedback.

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: Striker ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 15, 2002 - 08:00 AM

A few guys have done it, Have you done a search I know there are some posts.

Me I personally dont need to I am a real man. :)

• skthom2320

Posted April 15, 2002 - 09:03 PM

I've ridden a fellow TT'ers bike (Wyatt) who has done the mod. It is definitely easier clutch pull. It's a no-lose free mod. It'll only cost you if you screw up the arm (but they're only $30 or so).

I will do it also as soon as I can talk him into doing the machine work for me!!

• Dansgarage

Posted April 15, 2002 - 09:58 PM

I have done it to my bike and can't really notice any difference. this seems to be the exception to the rule though. It doesn't look prety but it works. good luck

• SMP

Posted April 15, 2002 - 12:20 PM

I did the mod on my bike and would say it made about a 20% difference, then added a Works Connection Pro Perch w/ built in decomp. lever and it has a 2stroke like pull now.

Had my local welder make the mod for me, can't even tell it has been cut/welded, think he tig'd it back together.

This mod is a great alterneative to the Raptor lever, which personally I don't like and was cheaper.

[ April 15, 2002: Message edited by: SMP ]

• Pazzo_P

Posted April 15, 2002 - 01:56 PM

Hey Dansgarage or SMP, I'm about to yank my clutch push lever tonight and have a question. Do I need to remove the clutch basket to release the push lever? I don't want to force it up or is that what it takes to remove it? I've only removed the cable and retaining bolt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Pazzo.

• SMP

Posted April 15, 2002 - 02:42 PM

Pazzo,

You only need to remove the clutch plate bolts and pull the plate off and the actuator arm should pull out. There are two peices, one long shaft and a short peice (closest to the plates). Pay attention to how the actuator arm is in the casing right now (small spring position, etc.), I had a hard time figuring out how it was originally in there, but finally figured it out.

Don't forget to use a torque wrench on the clutch plate bolts....they like to break.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pazzo_P

Posted April 15, 2002 - 03:23 PM

SMP, Thanks for the prompt reply and yes I honor and respect the power of the mighty "TORQUEWRENCH" Once again the TT'ers come through!
Thanks, Pazzo.

• BigLou

Posted April 16, 2002 - 06:05 AM

Check out this thread on DRN: http://www.dirtrider...eferrerid=19516

It has some pics of the mod I did to the clutch lever just like "Scott in KC" did. The difference is absolutely amazing. It's "125 light" now. :)

• SMP

Posted April 16, 2002 - 10:12 AM

The only problem I see with the "lever mod" is that you need to do it to your spare lever and any other lever you buy in the future.

I don't know about everyone else, but I go through atleast 2-3 levers a year.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 16, 2002 - 11:16 AM

Im wondering if anyone really knows for sure if the 2001 clutch arm is or is not exactly 5mm longer than the previous models. I have a 2000, my clutch is fairly easy, after lubing the cable correctly with Triflow. That made huge difference itself. Does anybody know about the levers themselves?

• yankee

Posted April 16, 2002 - 11:55 AM

You might think of getting a hydrolic clutch. I know it is expensive(~200) but it will last you. You can always transfer it from bike to bike. I believe the KTMs come with it. Next time you are at the track and see a KTM ask them to try out their clutch.

• PMK

Posted April 16, 2002 - 12:04 PM

Just to clarify, someone stated before that the 2001 series clutch actuator is 5mm shorter YES 5MM SHORTER than a 98,99,00. If you own a 2001 and probably a 2002 just buy an early arm and install. No welding cutting etc. If you own a 98, 99, 2000 you need to cut and weld.

I own a 2001 and have installed a borrowed 2000 arm. It does make a difference. I regret having to give it back. I have had a new arm on order since mid March, they are on backorder til sometime in May. Quoted retail is $35.36.
PK

• BigLou

Posted April 16, 2002 - 01:21 PM

Just to point out-I have a kTm also (hydraulic clutch) the pull on both the 426 and the 250 MXC are identical in force feel. The machining only takes about 15 minutes and is well worth it (I'm talking about modding the lever here). If I ever break the lever, you can bet I'll have the replacement in the shop for the secondary hole mod. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.