Throttle Stop Delima...Ugggggggg

4 replies to this topic
  • YamaCazi

Posted May 16, 2001 - 04:25 AM

Yesterday I read the Throttle Restrictor MOD and decided that I would attempt it, as More Power is my unofficial motto. Any way last night I followed the instructions, removed cover, removed the throttle stop, cut it down to the appropriate limit, everything fine up to that point. The trouble began during reinstallation of the modified stop. It appears that some rocket scientist cross threaded the first 3 or 4 threads in the mount when they installed it at the factory. (I wondered why it came out so easy) anyway during the last of numerous attempts, the stop flipped out and landed in parts unknown somewhere on the engine deck. I still have not located it as my wife made me close up the trailer and go inside because I was scaring the neighbors again. Anyway I think I have decided to buy a metric screw matched to the length of the stop threads plus the 12 mm that I had cut the stop to and attempt to make my own adjustable stop by threading it in from the bottom (Those threads appear to be ok).

My question is: Does anyone know what the metric diameter of the threaded stop mount is in the event that I can't find my missing tormentor?

THANKS FOR THE INPUT: After sitting outside my trailer last evening I decided that the best thing to do was to just go 4 it. I pulled the carb and disassembled the linkage to the throttle. I found the missing throttle stop lodged behind the front sprocket guard. Anyway with a pair of needle nosed pliers to apply downward pressure and a 3/32 wrench I manhandled the inferior piece of metal downward into the hole until it caucht on the last 4 good threads left. It tightened up nicely (I should have used some locktite on it), but I'm not even going to try to remove it ever again. Going to fire it up this evening and hope for the best....Thanks, Bill

[This message has been edited by Bmccutcheon (edited 05-17-2001).]

• Ga426owner

Posted May 16, 2001 - 05:42 AM

you may want to retap the threads to the original diameter, before you reinstall new Stop. I have found that this works real well, will clean out trash in the threads. Otherwise, if the threads are totaled, retap to next larger size, use the larger Stop

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted May 16, 2001 - 09:00 PM

I replaced mine w/ a metric screw from the hardware store. I'll do my best to figure out the size. Mitch from OZ provided the instructions for me to make a new one.

'99 WZ with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

• bhunt

Posted May 16, 2001 - 06:54 PM

Do what I did. Go to the local Yamaha shop and buy a throttle stop for a YZ for under $10.00. That way it's cut perfect and you'll have no worry's!

• YamaCazi

Posted May 17, 2001 - 03:06 PM

I GOT IT......Now I'm going to be in way over my head...Can't wait until saturday..Took it out to my local test area...Man this thing now blasts off like an ape with a red hot poker up his (well ya know) I literally could not keep the front end down..even with my big 200 lb A slid all the way up to the tank.....THIS IS GONNA ROCK.....

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.