yz to wr

5 replies to this topic
  • bazsupermotouk

Posted March 27, 2004 - 09:16 AM

just had my 2002 yz426 stolen, i am hooked on yams :)
am now looking for a new bike now, what would it take to get a wr to be in the same trim as a yz, what engine mods carb mods etc thanks for any help lads :D

• YamahaSteve

Posted March 27, 2004 - 11:28 AM

Both bikes are pretty much identical with a few exceptions. Get rid of the throttle stopand install the YZ throttle stop in the WR. Cut or disconnect the grey wire to run with YZ ignition timing. You will need to buy the YZ cam for the WR to get the YZ valve timing becasue of the auto-decomp mechanism. Once those three major things are done you basically have a YZ with e-start and lights with a stand. I think the front fork is smaller on the WR as well. Anything I missed guys???

• YZUL8R

Posted March 27, 2004 - 12:19 PM

Well i'm not sure what kinda riding you do..But even if you do all the things mentioned above ^..you still wont have the YZ gearing..which could be a concern if your riding Motocross..just a thought. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bazsupermotouk

Posted March 28, 2004 - 05:38 AM

im riding supermoto so it shouldnt be a problem :).
when you say the forks are different do you mean diameter or length.

• Racer577

Posted March 28, 2004 - 06:24 AM

As far as I can tell all the stuff is interchangable. I have 00, and 01 YZ forks that work just fine on my 03 WR. The wheels are interchangable as well, but the rear spacers are different between the WR and YZ. Also the WR rear rotor is ever so slightly bigger and rubs on the 00 YZ rear brake hanger. I had the same issue with the 00 and 01 front rotors. The 00 would go in the 01 caliper, but the 01 rotor rubbed on the 00 caliper. Didnt matter since the 01 brakes are much better. The 04 YZ's have a different fork, but the 03 and older are the same as the 04 WR's.

John

im riding supermoto so it shouldnt be a problem :).
when you say the forks are different do you mean diameter or length.

• YamahaSteve

Posted March 29, 2004 - 05:15 AM

...when you say the forks are different do you mean diameter or length.

Diameter... the 04 YZ got bigger diameter forks than the 04 WR.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.