Tranny Failure (not mine thankfully)

8 replies to this topic
  • 4:20six

Posted April 14, 2002 - 06:48 PM

My buddies 2001 426 recently had some big problems. Some teeth broke off fourth gear and circulated throughout the engine, causing some major damage. The repair estimate was $1800, but that was for a mecahnic to completely rebuild the whole motor and replace any damaged parts. That seems awfully steep don't you think. That's too much $$$ so my friend is gonna do it himself, and I predict all the parts that the mechanic(over $1G new parts alone) wanted to replace don't really need replacement. Anybody had this happen and how much $$ to fix??

• bajabunk

Posted April 15, 2002 - 06:00 AM

I had a problem with 4th gear on my 2001 Wr 426. See my thread titled transmission woes on the WR page. Yamaha is telling me that they are succeeding 4th gear and replacing it with a new one sometime after the first of May. NO WARRANTY!!!

• YZFcrash

Posted April 15, 2002 - 07:03 AM

Mine has 3rd and 4th shelled. If the dealer fixes it will be in the neiborhood of 1200.00 bucks. What a ripoff John

• timmorg

Posted April 15, 2002 - 08:40 AM

My dealer wanted about 1000 bucks to fix a stripped third gear. I went to a local bike repair shop and the guy charged me 250 laber plus parts...came out to about 550. I was happy but from now on I am confident about working on the bike myself.

Joe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dan_Rekito

Posted April 15, 2002 - 05:01 PM

5th gear dog teeth $600. months later counter balance gear threw a tooth $1000. few months later clutch basket blew into 3 pieces and broke the cases$1600 thats when I traded it, still in pieces.

• fastkevin

Posted April 16, 2002 - 04:22 AM

You guys should start a focus group.
And Dan, you sound like you could use a good cry. Go ahead, let it all out :)

• Blueman2

Posted April 16, 2002 - 07:16 PM

Unfortunately, I have everyone beat...I race intermediate mx and I have a 01' 426 and this is my second trans...first time 4th gear dawgs rounded...second time 3rd gear dawgs went out...I changed the oil after every practice/race, treated it like a real gem...Talk to some guys at a high perf aftermarket company who was sponsored by Yamaha...they said they had a lot of tranny problems until they kept all over Yamaha and then mysteriously they recieved special parts from Yamaha...after that no real problems. Interesting. I am not quite sure what to do...this will make $1600 in trans parts and labor and the bike is not even a year old...I still love Yamaha..I think...Any hear of defective parts or less than durable material? If any uses the phrase what do you expect its a race bike...would think different if they were $1600 into a 01'. See ya

• Hick

Posted April 16, 2002 - 07:58 PM

I don't think Yamaha makes the gear wheels, they might outsource those parts. They probably outsource more parts than they mfg.

I spent almost a grand just on parts when 3rd gear let go on my '00. But then I had a bent crank and broken case. Among other things.

Many (>100) hard hours on my '01 and no problems (knock wood).

• dan_Rekito

Posted April 18, 2002 - 06:59 PM

Blueman2 you know where I'm coming from.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.