Suspension for a 2001 YZ 426

4 replies to this topic
  • Fl4stroker

Posted April 14, 2002 - 02:50 PM

How about a little help. I am not an expert when it comes to suspension. I have received valuable feedback from some local guys, but, I would like to have some insight from a few Pro's, AA or A riders. I race Harescrambles and Enduros. I race in the "B" class and weigh 185lbs. Other than adjusting the clickers,my suspension is stock.

One of the local 4-stroke "A" riders suggested using progressive rate springs.Is anyone using progressive rate springs? If so, what do you think?

What are guys like Barry Hawk and Ty davis doing with their suspension set-up when they come to the Southeast?

• IBWFO

Posted April 14, 2002 - 06:12 PM

I Ride some MX and enduros. I can't speak for Barry Hawk, but I know Ty Davis uses Race-Tech suspension. My buddy has done some suspension work for him.
I have Race-Tech suspension in my 426.

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426_Pilot

Posted April 15, 2002 - 10:15 AM

I just recently went to the Race Tech web site. You can input your specifics and it will spit out a bunch of stuff about your clickers, spring rates, etc. It will try to sell you some valving and other parts, but you can ignore that.

I changed my clickers for a race this weekend (I have stock suspension with heavier [.48] springs in the forks, totally stock rear). My initial reaction is great. I love the way it felt; I was skeptical because the settings were very different from what I had. The most noticable difference was in the rebound. BTW, it is important to properly set the sag; get your girlfriend to help you measure that.

Good Luck.

• 98yz

Posted April 15, 2002 - 10:48 AM

Race Tech is great stuff and has great information on their site.

GP-Racing also has great set up info for both mx and off road. www.gp-racing.com" Give it a look. I have GP in my YZ 426 and Race Tech in my 250 (2 stroke) and both work great.

• Fl4stroker

Posted April 15, 2002 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will check out Race Tech and GP. Do you know if they use progressive springs or straight wound springs? Which is better?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.