ATTN: All 6'1"+ Riders !!

8 replies to this topic
  • Yz426King

Posted April 14, 2002 - 06:45 AM

If you have not yet lowered your pegs, you have to do this mod. Before I did this mod I couldn't grip the seat with my knees, and the air holes in the rad shrouds dug into my knees. Now after lowering the pegs my knees are below the holes in the rad shrouds, and are close enough to pinch the seat. At the same time I had the pegs off I took them over to the grinder and sharpened them. All I have to say now is my feet sure aren't slipping off the pegs EVER again. All you need is a hacksaw and a welder. It is a very easy mod to do, comparable in difficulty to the BK mod. See below picture.

Posted Image

[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: Yz426King ]

• motoman393

Posted April 14, 2002 - 09:31 PM

The pic isnt showing up...if you email me the pic I will post it for you! My tripod account wouldnt let me post pics either :)

Whenever you lower the your kickstarter hitting the peg at a point where it will make an indention on the kickstarter? It normally hits on the little tab (when stock), but does it hit there now? The reason I ask is: I read on here that someone was having this problem and had to buy a new kick starter.

• DPW

Posted April 14, 2002 - 09:54 PM

Did you adjust the shifter height too ?
Posted Image

[ April 14, 2002: Message edited by: DPW ]

• CHris_PArks

Posted April 14, 2002 - 11:31 AM

so what do you do to make this work, i am 6,3 and this would be a great mod to do. i would have a welder to the job because i know i would destroy the peg if i did it. could you either e mail or post a better description of what you are doing and give some more pics. before and after would be great if you could. thanx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yz426King

Posted April 14, 2002 - 12:30 PM

Go out to look at your bike. Look at the pegs and you will see the peg and the spring below it. What I do is cut off the tube that is holding the spring, and weld it on the top of the peg. Then swap the springs to the other side.

Motoman393: It is not hitting in the same spot, it looks like it will make a new indention, but I will probly weld a little tab on it to make it have a bigger contact patch to hit.

• shaun

Posted April 16, 2002 - 12:03 PM

Actually, you don't need a welder. Just cut off the barrel and put it on the top side. It can be used as a spacer. Fastway sales pegs with the barrel not attached. There are other posts that talk about doing the mod this way. No one has mentioned yet that the peg has broken. If you look at the amount of metal left, It is quite a bit.

• joesyz426

Posted April 16, 2002 - 12:17 PM

I did this as the FIRST mod to my bike. I rode a regular 426 last week and could not believe the difference. It was easy to do and my next step is to swap the top clamp with my buddy,he has a 2002 426 and mine is a 2000 model.

• Kirtwell

Posted April 17, 2002 - 06:46 AM

I want to do this to mine as well...looks easy like you say. The peg drops down and back...that would help me alot...

One question? Do any of you guys fear getting your toe caught up under the peg since it's so much lower?...I've broke several toes with the stock setup....I'll really need to be aware of my foot placement when I jump...especially in corners...
I'm still going to modify mine....thanx for the idea.

• MOmilkman

Posted April 17, 2002 - 07:45 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I hit my feet enough as is.

Anyone have any input on this??

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.