2003 WR450 Pics - Post '04 Starter Upgrade/FMF Q Addition

13 replies to this topic
  • KentuckyWR

Posted March 26, 2004 - 12:38 PM

Check out the pics!
Did the upgrade today and added an FMF Q!!
http://annessky.net/...0pics/index.htm

Getting ready for the Big Buck GNCC next week! :)

Anyone else heading that way?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 27, 2004 - 03:48 PM

Bike looks good. Nice shots. How do you like the Q over a stock uncorked pipe? Rode Redbird KY, yesterday and Coal Creek Today. I should have PM'd you that we were in your neck of the woods. :)

• KentuckyWR

Posted March 28, 2004 - 04:12 AM

Thanks Much!

Haven't ridden the bike enough to tell. It is quieter but not as much as I expected and around the house here (I have ten acres) it seems great. Will know more this afternoon. Will update the post with any results.

Would have liked to have gone to Redbird but my son is sick with strep throat. He started his Spring Break on Friday and got sick the same day!! Sucks for him and me!! Getting ready for the Big Buck GNCC anyhow. Didn't need to get too far away from home, break something on my bike, or hurt myself this weekend.

Where's Coal Creek?

:)

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 28, 2004 - 06:07 AM

Coal Creek is in Oliver Springs, TN just south of London, KY about 100 miles. Great riding with some 72,000 acres of land. Real challenging hill climbs! Let me know what you think of the Q. I am considering getting one if you and dave dialogue like the performance with reduced noise. :)

• KentuckyWR

Posted March 28, 2004 - 10:25 AM

I really like the Q! :)

It seems louder @ idle than you'd think and much quieter when you're on the throttle. Performance is on par with the stock exhaust unplugged but it definitely has a sound that doesn't carry as far.

I'll see how it does during the sound test next weekend @ the GNCC and will also know more after the race!

It is pretty too! My Son wants one for his KX 100 now!

So Coal Creek is about and hour and half past Livingston?

• N7SLC

Posted March 28, 2004 - 11:45 AM

I really like the Q! :)

It seems louder @ idle than you'd think and much quieter when you're on the throttle. Performance is on par with the stock exhaust unplugged but it definitely has a sound that doesn't carry as far.

I'll see how it does during the sound test next weekend @ the GNCC and will also know more after the race!

It is pretty too! My Son wants one for his KX 100 now!

So Coal Creek is about and hour and half past Livingston?

You're gonna like the improvements the Q gives in bottom and mid range
power. DDIALOGUE loves his. Looks like you got the "older" version w/
the eliptical end cap. If you upgrade to the newer endcap, it will be
quieter. :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 28, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Great! :) I am going to have to order the Q. What about the header? Will the stock header work with the Q? Thanks.
Coal Creek is about 1.5 hrs south of the old 909 - Livingston riding area that is now closed. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KentuckyWR

Posted April 07, 2004 - 04:39 AM

FMF Q Report: Install was easy, used stock header with no problems, don't really like the rear mounting "strap" but it seems to work just fine. It is really light compared to the stock . . .
But here is the kicker . . . it tested a 101db @ the Big Buck GNCC!!!
101db!!! Geez . . . from a brand new silencer . . .

Someone noted that mine had the old tip . . . is there a newer/quieter tip or something???

• ddialogue

Posted April 07, 2004 - 05:51 AM

. . . is there a newer/quieter tip or something???

Yes, there is an updated end cap. The elliptical-style end cap (like yours) is the older style. The newer style (has a tip style on the end instead of the elliptical style) is about an inch longer.

See it HERE

• BigE

Posted April 07, 2004 - 10:42 AM

Kentucky, I keep reading your posts. I think they were jacking up RPM's at Big Buck. We had 8 riders with us. We all rode at The Steel Creek Race and everyones dec. were up 5 to 7 clicks. Mine tested 100 at steel creek and it blew a 108 at Big Buck. Next time is pass or fail and I think GNCC officials were getting the point across.I run the 14" Ti 4 w/ an FMF silencer insert. If they fail me I'll probably get the Q.Atleast you passed.

• KentuckyWR

Posted April 07, 2004 - 11:46 AM

Yeah I did pass . . . but with as close to 104db as I was I'm a little worried about Loretta's and the other upcoming events. We'll see how consistent they are . . . :)

• Alabama_Rider

Posted April 07, 2004 - 09:30 PM

What is the weight difference between the Q and stock with the baffle out? :)

• KentuckyWR

Posted April 08, 2004 - 02:37 AM

I don't know for sure, but it is a bunch, I'd say several pounds!!!

• ddialogue

Posted April 08, 2004 - 04:17 AM

What is the weight difference between the Q and stock with the baffle out? :)

About three pounds, if I remember correctly.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.