Diff between the org coolant and green

10 replies to this topic
  • John_Lorenz

Posted April 14, 2002 - 05:03 AM

I am new here and was looking for some pointers on the diff between the orange and Green Coolant

aka Prestone and say Havoline Dox.

I only saw one post that said No Org coolant.

Is there any harm in the use of orange in the yz426

• yamie_rider

Posted April 14, 2002 - 05:32 AM

I have orange in my bike, whats the big deal?????

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 14, 2002 - 05:35 AM

I was reading through the posts and found a couple that said the orange is not to be used.
So I asked. I am using the Havoline Dox, it is made specificly for aluminum, Non Silicates.

I was just concerned I put the wrong stuff in my YZ

• yamie_rider

Posted April 14, 2002 - 05:49 AM

ducman

I just did a search on coolant and saw a few post stating orange coolant was bad. But nobody said why, does anyone know???

• dan_Rekito

Posted April 14, 2002 - 05:49 AM

The Orange coolant is designed for aluminum and will last up to 60,000 miles in a car. The green only lasts about 30,000 miles before it starts changing to an alkaline state, what accelerates this action is that the green coolant has silicates in it. No harm using the orange coolant with a 50\50 mix with DISTILLED water, don't use tap water in your bike !!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamie_rider

Posted April 14, 2002 - 05:52 AM

Thanx dan :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 14, 2002 - 05:53 AM

Thanks

Whew, I was sweating bullits, the Radiator is 600 bucks a pop.

I was debating to flush my system until I read this place.

My neighbor told me to use the Havoline Dox, he uses it in his Mustang GT, fully blown Alluminum Radiator, Block head and Blower. I figured it would not harm the YZ until I read the posts.

It sure would be nice if people posted the reasosn no to use something other then just saying dont

• Howard_Huge

Posted April 14, 2002 - 10:40 AM

The Orange coolant is a special kind developed for KTM brand motorcycles, you know how they like to be color coordinated right down to the coolant. :)

• Fireball

Posted April 14, 2002 - 03:19 PM

I have been using the Texaco Havaline Dex-Cool in my bikes for about 8 years. The Dex-Cool is supposed to last 100,000 miles... I read. The "orange stuff" has no silicone silicates. I read that these are tiny silicone particle suspended in the fluid, and over time, they wear on the seals... sorta like liquid sandblasting. Knock on wood... I have never had a water pump seal fail through 1 KX 80... 3 YZ 125,s... 1 YZ 250... and 1 YZ 426. I believe in the "orange stuff" and don't forget to add 4 capfulls of Redline Water Wetter. It helps your bike run cooler by letting the water absorb and release heat better.

My 2 cents worth....

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 15, 2002 - 03:40 AM

As Dan Rekito says "Don't use tap water" The Dex-Cool junk when mixed with plain tap water turns to a muddy- pastey like substance that plugs the tubes in your radiators. Not a good thing. Working in a GM dealership I see this all the time. ALWAYS use distilled water or just go back to the green stuff that was in it when new so if you are out in the boonies and over heat you can just add creek water or whater you have in your hydration system provided it is not a sports drink of some sort.
Jim.

• Victor_Delgadillo

Posted April 15, 2002 - 10:01 AM

i use Honda HP Coolant, it is ok? :)

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.