White foam from valve cover vent hose.

11 replies to this topic
  • bikefrk

Posted March 26, 2004 - 09:47 AM

Title states my problem. First ride on a '98 WR400 that I just picked up. Did oil and filter change before the ride. Got just over 1.5 quarts in it and the stick says it doesn't need anymore oil.

On the ride I did some high speed road work(couple of big wheelies in there :)) and then some slow speed trails right before I parked it. Left it on the kickstand for ten minutes while I rode the XR50. Came back to check the oil and saw a small puddle of white foam under that vent tube. It doesn't smell like anything in particular. Oil and coolant levels are where they were at before the ride.

I did a search here but didn't come up with anything specific on this problem. Help?!?!?

• comp182

Posted March 26, 2004 - 09:52 AM

White faom usually means oil and water mix. You better look into right away.

• tctrailrider

Posted March 26, 2004 - 09:55 AM

You may have overfilled it a little. A little blow by through the vent hose is normal. Take it for a short ride and then check the oil level. If you let it sit for long the oil will drain from the frame into the motor and give you a low reading.

• bikefrk

Posted March 26, 2004 - 10:01 AM

You may have overfilled it a little. A little blow by through the vent hose is normal. Take it for a short ride and then check the oil level. If you let it sit for long the oil will drain from the frame into the motor and give you a low reading.

I will do that when I get back to the bike tomorrow. I understand about the blowby, esp. with the length of wheelie I was riding(can't take the squid out of me :)). I just don't get why it was as white as snow and thick. Probably was just enough to fill the palm of your hand. Not much.

Thanks.

• gomopar440

Posted March 26, 2004 - 10:50 AM

If you just got the bike the previous owner could have had a problem with oil and water mixing (probably blown head gasket). If he wanted to hide it he could have changed the oil and filter to hide the problem :). The whitish foam could be residue from the old mess that was stuck in the breather tube.

I'm just guessing cause I can't see what you are seeing and I don't know who you got it from. Either way, I wouldn't take it lightly. It could = big$ if ignored.

• bikefrk

Posted March 26, 2004 - 12:43 PM

If you just got the bike the previous owner could have had a problem with oil and water mixing (probably blown head gasket). If he wanted to hide it he could have changed the oil and filter to hide the problem :). The whitish foam could be residue from the old mess that was stuck in the breather tube.

I'm just guessing cause I can't see what you are seeing and I don't know who you got it from. Either way, I wouldn't take it lightly. It could = big$ if ignored.

I doubt that he is trying to hide anything from me. Really good guy that invited me to go riding with him this spring.

Now if it is the head gasket, what tests are to be performed to tell me that?

I will be riding it tomorrow so I will see if it does it again. Will watch the oil for signs of contamination also.

Wish me luck. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • holeshot426

Posted March 26, 2004 - 01:05 PM

Ive had that happen many times before. It happens if there is a little water in the bottom of that hose. The breather is actually blowing and sucking really fast in a cycle. So if the oil in the bike is clean, then dont worry about it, it sounds like an external issue. (Im thinking positive here!) :)

• bikefrk

Posted March 26, 2004 - 02:13 PM

Ive had that happen many times before. It happens if there is a little water in the bottom of that hose. The breather is actually blowing and sucking really fast in a cycle. So if the oil in the bike is clean, then dont worry about it, it sounds like an external issue. (Im thinking positive here!) :)

Thats the kind of positive vibes I need. :D :D

• WR_Dave

Posted March 26, 2004 - 02:28 PM

If the previous owner was selling the bike for some time he may have been starting it several times for prospective buyers but not warming it up enough. Living in Michigan you may have had some cold days and nights and the bike developed a bit of condensation in the engine. It only takes an ounce of water to get the oil going milky. Test compression and check for bubbles in the rad and do a rad pressure test. Talk to the last guy and check out my .02 hunch. Good Luck--WR Dave.

• YZUL8R

Posted March 27, 2004 - 12:28 PM

Maybe your bike just got a little too excited when you came back to check on it! :) :D

• bikefrk

Posted March 27, 2004 - 05:00 PM

Maybe your bike just got a little too excited when you came back to check on it! :D :D

Holy sheeot!!! LMAO. In not so many words my wife said the same thing.

I warmed it up today, then checked the oil level. It was a little high. I cracked the drain bolt,let a little out,ran it and checked it again. Right where it is supposed to be. :D

So I chased my kid around on her XR50 and then gave the bike a fistful after she got tired of riding. I had just a tiny drop of the white foam again after I got done and let it sit.

I packed the bike up on the trailer and brought it home. After I sprayed it down and got it clean, I popped the hose off and took a look at it. The end that clamps to the valve cover was clean. No signs of the foamy substance. Just a little bit on the other end. I put it in a sinkful of HOT water and let it soak for a while,then blew some air through it. Just the smallest bit of the foam came out.

So, tomorrow I will drop the oil, flush it with some cheapo oil and then top it off with the right stuff and try it out again. I am not to worried about it right now. Thanks for the help given. :) :D

• Hamish

Posted March 27, 2004 - 10:41 PM

Had this happen to me once. As you know, you will always get a small amount of oil coming out of the breather hose. I once stalled my bike in a deep puddle. The instant cooling of the crankcases causes water to be sucked up the hose. Not all the way up to the engine, but enough to mix with the oil thats in the hose and create that white milky liquid. I don't believe you have any need for concern.

Hamish

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.