oil plug

2 replies to this topic
  • slomo138

Posted March 26, 2004 - 01:06 AM

On right front side of the head there is a drilled
oil passage.It is about 10mm in dia.It is blocked by a metal softplug.
When I was riding I noticed the right radiator was
covered with oil.Pulled tank off and started bike to see if I could find oil leak,saw that plug was gone.Slight spray
comming from hole.I am hoping that this is the oil return side of that route.
1)Has anyone else ever had this happen?
(I would think 426 would have same hole.)
2)What could have caused That plug to pop out?
(To much oil ?.Plugged breather vent?)
I had my breather tube rerouted to air box.
I might of had it pinched creating to much crankcase
pressure.Back to stock for now.
It was a easy fix,10mm soft plug from auto store.
Tap it in . About 75 cents
Yamaha did not even show it in part book.
I hope I did not do any damage to the head.
Bike seems to run just as good as before

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted March 26, 2004 - 01:20 AM

Hmm...I'm guessing that this plug you are refering to is where the decomp lever would go in a 426. There is no oil pressure behind there, but it would spit out a bit of oil if it was left open. As I don't have a 450 I'm guessing, but is there a bolt on the side of the head that holds the plug in place?

• mtrablue

Posted March 26, 2004 - 09:06 AM

the tt store sells a plug and seal for the hole. the stock plug is a press fit. go to shop tt, engine, .....plugs, quasi moto racing. the new one uses the small screw near the hole to hold the plug in place. you will need the seal also.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.