Air Filter backfire screen

3 replies to this topic
  • Moon

Posted March 25, 2004 - 10:49 AM

Is there a performance gain in eliminating the stock air filter housing backfire screen? I have purchased aftermarket performance air filters but they did not come with a new housing. It looks messy to cut the screen out of the stock housing. Does anyone make a housing without the screen and does anyone believe it helps to eliminate it? :)

• RichBaker

Posted March 25, 2004 - 02:32 PM

I did it to my 03WR450, last mod I did....didn't notice a big increase in power, but it did clean up a little richness in the midrange that showed up after I put the DWR needle in. So....it did a little bit more on top of everything else. But it was a PITA to cut and clean out all the screen, I prob'ly wouldn't do it again. The YZF guys are lucky, they can just get a 2-stroke cage and put it in....won't work with the WR air box, as far as I can tell from the 'fiche.

Is there a performance gain in eliminating the stock air filter housing backfire screen? I have purchased aftermarket performance air filters but they did not come with a new housing. It looks messy to cut the screen out of the stock housing. Does anyone make a housing without the screen and does anyone believe it helps to eliminate it? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JVP

Posted March 25, 2004 - 02:45 PM

The reason why Yamaha installed the Backfire Screen was because too many people for some unknown reason use gasoline to clean there filters. :D When they don't air them out enough and re-oil them the gas stays in the filter. Without the backfire screen the air filter can ignite and you can have a hotseat! :) If you use the proper cleaners and stay away from gas it should be O.K. to eliminate the screen. I don't know if you going to get that more power though. :D

• holeshot426

Posted March 25, 2004 - 02:46 PM

I did it to mine also. Got rid of that anoying little air filter screen "whistle". Better air flow for sure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.