Yamaha WR450F vs Suzuki DRZ400E

46 replies to this topic
  • Z06

Posted March 26, 2004 - 08:58 AM

Also, I have over 3,000 miles of dirt and street riding on my 2003 WR450f with NO e-start problems. I use the e-button all the time, and had the service bulletin performed at 1,000 miles at the dealer for free. The bike runs great in hot or cold weather, starts easy, and the James Dean jet kit really "woke" the bike up.

Sent you a PM. :)

Maybe it would be quicker if I just walked to your house? :D

Mac

• djv5

Posted March 26, 2004 - 10:53 AM

PM'd you back at 3:45

• SBG

Posted March 26, 2004 - 11:17 AM

You don't need to wonder about power on either bike. the WR has more, but even at your weight, the WR250F can get you around faster than you might think. I ride with a 250 pounder, and he does fine on his 250F. PowerNow, and a 12 tooth CS and he's good to go. I seem to be able to ride a lot longer than my bud with his 450 also. It tires him out, and he's by no means a small guy, nor is he out of shape.

• Z06

Posted March 26, 2004 - 01:29 PM

You don't need to wonder about power on either bike. the WR has more, but even at your weight, the WR250F can get you around faster than you might think. I ride with a 250 pounder, and he does fine on his 250F. PowerNow, and a 12 tooth CS and he's good to go. I seem to be able to ride a lot longer than my bud with his 450 also. It tires him out, and he's by no means a small guy, nor is he out of shape.

I am definatey NOT going smaller than a DRZ400E or the WR450F.

250cc is just too small for me.

Mac

• oldbones

Posted March 26, 2004 - 01:54 PM

All right Mac, all the answers are right here, can you pick them out? I read all these posts, and all the ones on the DRZ forum as well. How many DRZ riders said get the WR? Not too many, but a few. OK, now, how many WR riders said get the DRZ? That's right, NONE.

If you read carefully, you will notice that the strongest supporters of one bike over the other fit into two distict and different groups.

The guys that just like to go out and enjoy a nice ride, sit down most of the time, and *occasionally* let it hang out a little like the zuke.

The guys that hate getting beat in a drag race, that ride standing up as much or more than sitting down, like to ride a track more than once in the lifetime of the bike, like the single track as much as the logging roads, and don't consider it a real "ride" unless you hit the rev limiter at least once, all prefer the Yamaha.

Which guy are you?

Out of the box, the Yamaha has a better motor and a better suspension. The Suzuki has a better seat. The maintenance on both bikes is the same, period.

If performance is an issue, it's a no brainer. Spend the money to make the Zuke keep up with the WR, and you are now probably $1000 over the WR price. Now, take that grand and see what you can do to the WR! For the same money, you will have more bike.

Now, if you go out and screw this all up, it won't be on my consciounce(sp?)! :)

• Z06

Posted March 26, 2004 - 02:27 PM

All right Mac, all the answers are right here, can you pick them out? I read all these posts, and all the ones on the DRZ forum as well. How many DRZ riders said get the WR? Not too many, but a few. OK, now, how many WR riders said get the DRZ? That's right, NONE.

If you read carefully, you will notice that the strongest supporters of one bike over the other fit into two distict and different groups.

The guys that just like to go out and enjoy a nice ride, sit down most of the time, and *occasionally* let it hang out a little like the zuke.

The guys that hate getting beat in a drag race, that ride standing up as much or more than sitting down, like to ride a track more than once in the lifetime of the bike, like the single track as much as the logging roads, and don't consider it a real "ride" unless you hit the rev limiter at least once, all prefer the Yamaha.

Which guy are you?

Out of the box, the Yamaha has a better motor and a better suspension. The Suzuki has a better seat. The maintenance on both bikes is the same, period.

If performance is an issue, it's a no brainer. Spend the money to make the Zuke keep up with the WR, and you are now probably $1000 over the WR price. Now, take that grand and see what you can do to the WR! For the same money, you will have more bike.

Now, if you go out and screw this all up, it won't be on my consciounce(sp?)! :D

Thanks for the help "oldbones." :D

I just read thru both threads myself. I wasn't sure who was more honest, the Suzuki guys or the Yamaha. :)

You are correct, several of the DRZ guys said hands down get the WR450F, which btw surprised me. I didn't think people would be that honest even though they owned a DRZ.

All the Yamaha guys said buy the WR450F or possibly the Honda 450. Not one said to buy the DRZ.

I think part of my problem is that I rode Suzuki dirtbikes back in the 70s & 80s when Suzuki ruled. Yamaha sucked back then. :usa:

Now, Yamaha and Honda rule the dirtbikes and Suzuki is not even in the picture. What happened there?

I am riding the WR450F next week, the problem is that is will be 100% stock, not opened up. But in reality, even corked it will be the same HP or more than a stock DRZ, correct?

I guess it will give me a good chance to evaluate the 2 at about the same HP levels.

I have always had a bias towards Suzuki and never really liked Yamaha. I guess I need to accept changes and accept the fact that Suzuki is behind in technology.

I think my only real choice is the WR450F.

I like the comfort of the Suzuki and easy to ride, but the Horsepower and new technology of the Yamaha.

I guess I am trying to have both. :D

One thing I can't figure out though. Why do people say the Yamaha is harder to ride and more tiring? I spoke to a guy who owns a DRZ and he said he can ride for hours without being tired. However, when he rides his friends WR450F he can only last an hour or two before he is too tired.

Can someone elaborate on this?

Thanks for everyones help. Both bikes are nice and I can't find any real faults with either one. The people on this board have been very helpful on both Suzuki and Yamaha.

Maybe I'll be riding BLUE next week? :D

Mac

• lipskid

Posted March 26, 2004 - 02:47 PM

You mentioned sand dunes a couple times. If you're really going to spend much time in the sand, the DRZ is NOT going to be ANY fun. The WR450 is almost to heavy to be much fun, but the power helps. :)

• Z06

Posted March 26, 2004 - 02:57 PM

You mentioned sand dunes a couple times. If you're really going to spend much time in the sand, the DRZ is NOT going to be ANY fun. The WR450 is almost to heavy to be much fun, but the power helps. :D

I'll clarify that. I live on Lake Michigan, I would not really be in any type of sand dunes. More like hard packed sand along the shore.

Of course if DNR trys to catch me I may need to cross a dune or two. :) :D

Mac

• lipskid

Posted March 26, 2004 - 03:22 PM

I doubt the plugged up WR will have as much power as the DRZ. Remember, you can't even open the throttle all the way on a stock WR. Once the free mods are done though, :).

The WR is easy to ride. The power is very linear, almost car-like. Twist a little, get a little. Twist some more, get some more. It's up to you.

What makes it more tiring to ride, is that there is a lot more power available, when you want it, and its to much fun not to. :D

• aremean_troy

Posted March 26, 2004 - 04:49 PM

I owned both the drz400 as well as the wr (400 not 450 though).

I think in terms of power, handling, weight and suspensions, the WR is a lot better then the DRZ and its a lot more fun to ride off road.

The plus side of the DRZ is that it has the magic button (the wr450f has this too) and that the DRZ is a good bike for road use cos of its plush seat and suspension and its not so high rpm (the wr400 is a rev happy bike)

just my 2 cents

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simon@vic

Posted March 26, 2004 - 04:55 PM

"However, when he rides his friends WR450F he can only last an hour or two before he is too tired."

trust me. i own BOTH BIKES, you can ride both of them all day easly. but the WR is way mor fun :D :D.
i like insanity long rides to the end of nowhere.

--------->PIC 1<---------
--------->PIC 2<---------
--------->PIC 3<---------
PIC 4
Posted Image

all the pictures where take the same day. 14 hour riding and 16L in my drz :).

i find the WR ALLOT less tiring then the drz for a 20min ride or all day. it grunts and FEELS LIGHT even in the nastiest single track you toss at it. and in the open YE HAAAA

the only way i think a wr could "buck" a rider is if the rider was very out of shape or practice and we trying to fallow old friends who where going allot faster. then i can see it tossing you a bit.

for any one who is on the bigger side {I'm not :D} and loves bikes. the wr450 {un smoged} is an amazing rush even on a logging road. and after a bit of getting used to {took me about 15 min :D} you can jump logs and dodging trees at amazing speeds. it loves it. the drz well, at the point will buck you off due to suspension.

• Z06

Posted March 26, 2004 - 05:36 PM

Great pics Simon. :D

That must be awesome riding. :D

I'm about 95% sure I am going to order a WR450F. :)

I will be testing one by early next week.

Is there any difference between a US bike vs Canadian?

I can go either way since I am in Micigan.

Thanks for everyones help.

Mac

• mjb40

Posted March 26, 2004 - 07:31 PM

Hey! I just went through this same issue last winter. Been out of the sport for 20 yrs and used to ride Suzuki. It was hard to go "Blue", but the preformance of the WR450 is fantastic. :D Yes, the seat is hard, but you'll be grinning so wide that you'll forget about the 2x4 between your legs.
I love how the WR450 can have such huge power and yet deliver it so smoothly.
You will not be disappointed. :)

• simon@vic

Posted March 26, 2004 - 09:55 PM

if you can, get the canadian one.

• Lowedog

Posted March 27, 2004 - 05:31 AM

If you think the WR's seat is hard, ride the KTM EXC! :)

• Gordingull

Posted March 27, 2004 - 08:00 AM

About the tiring, the last bike I had before the WR450 was a DRZ, if you ride those bikes standing the DRZ will tire you MUCH faster, I can go on standing on the WR for hours but I always had to sit down soon on the DRZ.

Probebly the best comparision beetween those to bikes that I have heard is probebly from my father "If the WR450 was a race horse... the DR-Z400 would be a lazy cow!!!" :) (He had also a drz before his WR)

Go for the WR, you won't regret it :D

• SBG

Posted March 27, 2004 - 09:48 AM

I am definatey NOT going smaller than a DRZ400E or the WR450F.

250cc is just too small for me.

Mac

I wasn't saying to go with the 250, I was just saying that the DRZ shouldn't leave you wanting more in engine performance since it has more everywhere than my wr250f. I think a lot of people sell the 250's short, but these people hop aboard and try to lug them like open class bikes. That doesn't work. Once you figure out the smaller bike, you can hang with any open class bike going through the woods. Only place my buds 450 burns me is on the open straights, and it isn't by that much either.

• Z06

Posted March 27, 2004 - 10:17 AM

About the tiring, the last bike I had before the WR450 was a DRZ, if you ride those bikes standing the DRZ will tire you MUCH faster, I can go on standing on the WR for hours but I always had to sit down soon on the DRZ.

Probebly the best comparision beetween those to bikes that I have heard is probebly from my father "If the WR450 was a race horse... the DR-Z400 would be a lazy cow!!!" :D (He had also a drz before his WR)

Go for the WR, you won't regret it :)

I respect the opinion of a previous DRZ owner more. :D

Can you describe the differences between how the 2 bikes ride?

Is the Canadian one better, and why?

Now I need to find a dealer who has one in stock and is has a good price. I live in Michigan. Any recommedations?

Thanks

Mac

• SBG

Posted March 27, 2004 - 03:20 PM

Now I have some info on the 250's between canadian and american, but I'm sure some of that follows over to the 450's as well. The jetting is leaner on the canadian bikes. I believe my stock main is a 185, and canadian was 172. I'm nnot sure on the other jets, but I know the needle is also different. The bikes also don't have the US restrictions(throttle stop,grey wire). The C bikes also have a more restricitve exhaust and the end cap does not unbolt. It's welded in. I think that's about it though.

• Gadsen

Posted March 27, 2004 - 04:26 PM

If you think the WR's seat is hard, ride the KTM EXC! :)

Agreed. We have a guy who rolls with us on a 02 KTM 200 EXC and we call his seat "redi-mix" as in concrete filled. The WR is plush compared to those.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.