grabby brake lever fix

No replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted April 12, 2002 - 01:11 AM

I hope this helps someone else. My front brake LEVER was grabby. i.e. if I tried too pull it in slowly, it would bind and then suddenly go in a bunch and then bind again, etc... Well I finally figured out what it was. The piston in the master cylinder does not like to be pushed in at the angle that the brake lever pushes it in at. If I pushed it in and towards the bike with my thumb then it binds like crazy. Oddly enough if I push it in and away from the bike it's as smooth as can be. Spinning the piston made no difference so the problem must be in the cylinder somewhere. Anyway, I removed the dust cover on the piston and used a q-tip with some grease to coat the piston lightly with grease. Install and pull the lever a few times and then do it again. Then clean up the extra and put it back together. The problem is about 95% gone! I wish I had cought this sooner and I would have asked Yamaha for a new master cylinder. Oh well, I hope this helps someone else! :)

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.