I would like to mellow my 01 YZF426 out any Ideas ???

10 replies to this topic
  • xxx426

Posted March 24, 2004 - 06:11 PM

I just bought an 01 YZF 426 less than 20 hrs on it never raced I am getting the drill down.... I got last Sat, Hated it!! but tonight I went to my Local track it Jammed... I ddn't I Like the Power But I realize I want some Low end ...I never wanted to admit it but, I will be 42 Fri and I CAN NOT JUMP!!! :) How ever I love to Ride Wadda ya think Decom Cam..from hot cams and Zip ty fly wheel weigh's ? how heavy?? Kick stand ? what else would can I do to it ?

• RichBaker

Posted March 24, 2004 - 06:20 PM

you could un-do some of the free mods.....put the corks back in her, that'll mellow her out. :)

• oldbones

Posted March 24, 2004 - 06:28 PM

If it's mellower you are looking for, don't waste the money on the Hotcams, just put an OEM WR450 decomp cam in, with WR timing. The 450 has much smoother power delivery, feels more like a true "four-stroke" than the 426 which has a hit like a 2 smoke.

Also, if you pulled the grey wire, maybe hook it back up, that should also shift your power a little towards the low end.

Lastly, try the biggest, gnarliest back tire you can stuff on there. More hookup will promote lower rpm grunt instead of wheelspin letting you get up "on the cam".

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 24, 2004 - 06:59 PM

Ditto with what Oldbones said! WR450 exhaust cam will do the trick. :)

• xxx426

Posted March 24, 2004 - 07:08 PM

Thank's for the reply's I Forgot to say It's a YZF 426 is the WR ex cam a good choice ? I cant trail ride if I can't start it I keep wishing... I could start it like my old KLR 250 ... I haven't Done any thing to it I was thinking about doing the Blue wire mod

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KentuckyWR

Posted March 25, 2004 - 03:09 AM

flywheel weight

• oldbones

Posted March 25, 2004 - 05:17 AM

Ah, a YZ you say... Ok, try the YZ Forum, ask those guys if the WR cam will work.

Also, find someone here with a WR450 or 426 that's not too far from you, and hook up with them for a ride. You shouldn't have too much trouble conning them into letting you try their bike. Remember, it's pretty much the exact same engine, just tuned differently. You can fix that if you want, for cheap-o!

Where do you live?

• jwriott

Posted March 25, 2004 - 06:06 AM

Before buying a WR450 cam, I'd just take your stock cam and change it to WR timing since that's free. That way, you'll have an idea if it does what you want without spending any $$. If you like the change, get the WR450 cam so you have the auto-decompression.

A flywheel weight will also mellow the bike out as would a WR exhaust. You could also get a PMB end cap and install the quiet tip to do the same thing.

You could also try a Power Now insert to help withthe low end as well.

• tp3dxf

Posted March 26, 2004 - 09:00 PM

I would suggest a flywheel weight. It will give you a better trail riding bike. Helps keep it from stalling at lower RPM's. But if you intend to keep riding the tracks I wouldn't suggest it. Maybe look into a torque stuffer. Easy and cheap.

• WR_Dave

Posted March 27, 2004 - 03:31 AM

Before buying a WR450 cam, I'd just take your stock cam and change it to WR timing since that's free. That way, you'll have an idea if it does what you want without spending any $$.

This is the cheap and easy fix to see if you like the WR power delivery better. Also learn the starting drill and absolutely get your jetting right for your riding style and area. If the jetting is right the bike is a first or second kick starter everytime. Good luck WR Dave.

• xxx426

Posted March 27, 2004 - 04:39 AM

Thank's whats a torque stuffer ...Is that like a board strecher???=0) really what is it ? Thanks Tim

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.