Look what Germans can buy right now!

16 replies to this topic
  • SBG

Posted March 24, 2004 - 04:56 PM

2wd! At least they get a choice. :)

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 24, 2004 - 05:21 PM

"those Damn Krauts**"

**"The Great Waldo Pepper"...GREAT MOVIE!!!!!

If you are a Kraut..chill the "F" out Dude!! I am Kraut, Brit (Go Figure!!) and Swede. My crank is from Africa!! :)

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 24, 2004 - 05:43 PM

You can buy one also. There are importing a limited number this year over here.

Here is the kicker, the 2trac system is $3500 additional to the purchase price of the Wr450. But you get Ohlins suspension.

• ETP

Posted March 24, 2004 - 06:07 PM

Any woodruff keys in that new design? :)

• simon@vic

Posted March 24, 2004 - 08:17 PM

i dont think so. the idea and even the unit arnt exactly new tech. they just havent been public till now. would be fun to try......once or twice.

• yamaha.dude

Posted March 24, 2004 - 10:19 PM

What fun would it be if you had to keep the front wheel on the ground all the time...? :) :D

David

• Frostbite

Posted March 25, 2004 - 03:26 AM

Just think of the wheelie potential. Most of the long distance guys install a small electric motor to keep the front wheel spinning. They say the gyro effect gives you a lot more side to side control and turn-ability.
2WD is a no brainer for me, I want one. Having rear wheel drive only is like not having 4WD up here. All that slipping and sliding is fun and keeps you on your toes but it would be nice to have both wheels in line once in awhile. :D

Think a push bar and winch will make it dive too much in the corners? :D
:D :D :)

• Bamster

Posted March 25, 2004 - 04:06 AM

Love to try one :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SBG

Posted March 25, 2004 - 05:38 AM

What fun would it be if you had to keep the front wheel on the ground all the time...? :) :D

David

I believe the front pulls at 10%, so wheelies are still in the cards. The 10% probably gives just enough traction so the bike doesn't slide out, and I'm sure the engineers figured that the front still needs to be lofted to clear certain objects. Can't wait till this is standard! :D

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 25, 2004 - 06:00 AM

David

I believe the front pulls at 10%, so wheelies are still in the cards. The 10% probably gives just enough traction so the bike doesn't slide out, and I'm sure the engineers figured that the front still needs to be lofted to clear certain objects. Can't wait till this is standard! :D

15% power is the most the front wheel will give you on the 2 trac system.

• The_Missile

Posted March 26, 2004 - 02:41 AM

Actually this bike was used by David Fretigné in the last Paris Dakar and won outright three stages and 7'th overall.

For those that dont know this Rally check it out. Its almost 21 day length is viewed as the most difficult in the world. Larry Roesseler entered this year and finished 5'th.

The 2 trac system is dynamic. As the rear wheel loses traction, additional power is transferred to the front wheel. No rear wheel slippage, minimal front wheel power. Apparently you cannot hang the rear of the bike out due to this, so it may appear as a loss of power to those used to sliding the rear around, but according to the articles, you will be faster in any case due to being able to hold a better/tighter/faster line.

News Item :

2-TRAC IMPRESSED ON DAKAR DEBUT
The 2004 Dakar rally came to a close today, and it was mission accomplished as far as David Frétigné and his Yamaha Motor France team were concerned.

The Frenchman was the revelation of the event, winning the 450 class on his two-wheel-drive Yamaha WR450F 2-Trac and stunning riders of the more powerful 660 and 950cc machines by winning three stages outright and finishing seventh in the overall standings – an amazing achievement for a Dakar rookie on a 450cc machine. The 18-day, 11,052 km event also provided the toughest test yet for the 2-Trac system.Yamaha entered just one machine for the event but it performed flawlessly, proving its resilience and giving the engineers plenty of vital feedback to help develop the system. Today saw the last 27km special around the beach at Lac Rose. There were no changes at the top of the leaderboard, with Nani Roma (KTM660) finally winning the race after nine attempts, over 12 minutes ahead of Richard Sainct (KTM660) and Cyril Despres (KTM660). Frétigné was lucky to survive a huge crash during the special to finish the stage sixth (at 1’16) and consolidate his extremely impressive seventh overall (at 3h26’54). On his first ever Dakar the Frenchman took the 450 class victory ahead Matteo Graziani (11th at 6h06’47).

For some details (some links in french)
Paris Dakar Home

Interview with designer

Yamaha 2 Trac Overview

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 26, 2004 - 05:59 AM

There is no a variable setup here. The only variable is the engine speed. The front drive is hydraulic which runs off a pump ran off the water pump and then plumbed to the front. The front wheel is run from the hydraulic fluid run through vanes in the enlarged hub.

Simple system, but you do have some extra weight there and hydraulic lines run up the front.

But yes, same bike that did well in the opening Dakar races. It fell behind in the faster sections of the coarse.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 26, 2004 - 08:15 AM

I want one..... :)

• WRSTEVE

Posted March 26, 2004 - 11:17 AM

The real ? here is...

Would anyone here pay 9,500 for 1 when they 1st come out for sale in the :D :)

• Frostbite

Posted March 29, 2004 - 03:11 AM

Uh-Huh! :) :D :D

• GOTGAS

Posted April 05, 2004 - 07:22 AM

Oh Buddy, I want one. I would like to see them out for a year or so though. Bike manufacturers tend to use us consumers as part of their test bed.

I wonder what downhills are like. Would the added torque applied from the front make for a increased fun-factor? :)

• Frostbite

Posted April 05, 2004 - 12:14 PM

:thinking:Hopefully the front will freewheel when not under power. Otherwise it'd be like a jet-ski, power turns only, decellerating would be like dragging the front brake through a turn or down a hill. That would definitely increase the holy s$%t factor! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.