xl600r flywheel removal

hey gang. 

in the middle of an engine teardown for my 87 xl600r after i broke a race in the right crankcase (woops.)

i'm now starting to work on the flywheel. is the flywheel bolt reverse threaded or normal? i hit it for a moment with my impact driver and it didnt budge and i was afraid i was tightening it so i backed off. i'd love to know which way is correct so i don't cause any more terrible damage to this motor!

i know once i get this bolt to use the flywheel puller, which i already have, its just the top bolt thats giving me grief.

• 1 month later...

i have an electric impact wrench and it absolutely would not budge the bolt. i live next door to an auto shop and i lugged my engine over there and they zapped it with their 1500ft/lbimpact driver. the retaining bolt came right off. i thought my electric impact would then be able to tighten the flywheel puller enough to pop the flywheel off....nope. had to take the engine back to the auto shop for them to zap the flywheel puller tool. i tell you, it was a scary thing having them zap the puller clockwise, 1500ft/lbs going that direction...yikes. but the flywheel popped right off. who knows how long it's been since the flywheel was pulled, man it was tiiiight.