Garage View Garage

Posted January 09, 2017 - 11:03 AM

http://www.polaris.c...nt-announcement

• Pittbull
9,535 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 09, 2017 - 01:29 PM

I just heard this as well, buggers...

Of course the Indian brand is doing well as they are new and a different type of ride all together. As to that, Polaris had dumped millions into the line development and backed away from what they could have done with Victory. Last year rumors began about this but were quickly shut down by dealers who said "no way" due to the 2 brands being so different and going to a different type of rider. The Indian to a type of rider who wanted a boulevard cruiser who was more interested in leather tassels and chrome while the Victory rider was someone who enjoyed long distance cruising and blasting around on a performance machine.

I'm not very happy with this decision at all but what can you do, this is the day and age of corporate bottom line / screw the consumer. I like the Indian brand, they have some beautiful bikes and some outstanding customs but the issue is, I have 2 Victories the moment. Now this news is going to cost me big bucks on the resale of my machines when / if that time comes. I've already had to go through this crap with a previous ownership of a 2005 Buell XB12SCG. When Hardly Dangerous decided to shoot Eric in the back and kill his entire brand, the selling price of my Buell dropped by thousands and stealerships refused to work on it.

• OLHILLBILLY
7,964 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 09, 2017 - 04:48 PM

Think that was pretty much a "shoot themselves in the foot" move there. Drop a good selling line of bikes to pursue a many times resurrected zombie brand. I'm not a cruiser rider so it doesn't really concern me, but still looks like a not too smart business plan. :thinking:

Edited by OLHILLBILLY, January 09, 2017 - 04:48 PM.

• DIrtBikerrr

TT Member

36 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 07:44 PM

seems like they are doing a desperate move if they push through with it

• HeavyRotation

TT Gold Member

1,447 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 10, 2017 - 09:59 PM

Jesus, they're dumping Victory to sell 3 wheelers to oldsters at 25k ea. Too bad.
  • ossagp, Ud_Luz and Pittbull like this
  • Like This

• ossagp

TT Bronze Member

495 posts

Posted January 10, 2017 - 11:22 PM

I wondered when Mark Blackwell left if it was an indicator.   This is really going to make prospective Indian buyers stop and think.  

• The Italian Stallion

TT Platinum Member

1,512 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 04:29 AM

OMG I don't believe it :rolleyes: What have I been telling you guys? Stick with the original!

• The Italian Stallion

TT Platinum Member

1,512 posts

Posted January 13, 2017 - 12:56 PM

I wondered when Mark Blackwell left if it was an indicator.   This is really going to make prospective Indian buyers stop and think.  

"Indian" :rolleyes:   won't be too far behind..goes to show you how well Polaris was doing that they needed the loss..The people don't want it enough for it to be worth it..Victory had a half decent run when there were all those custom bike shows on TV and people bought them that didn't want the "HD stereotype"they didnt really buy for  any brand loyalty or thoughts of resale despite really wanting an HD consciously or subconsciously..smooth move Exlax,there can be only one :smirk:..Who goes to a Jetski shop to get a cruiser? .Scout? Girl scout?..What the hell kinda name is that? ..Of all of the hardcore indian names like "Scalp Hunter" they give it that? and have you seen the big more classic one with all the tassels? Who did they design that bike for? Shaquille O'neal? Its a friggin land yacht holy crap!..Oh yeah, they won't be there for the long haul boys

Edited by The Italian Stallion, January 13, 2017 - 12:58 PM.

• DonO

TT Addict

3,776 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 03:36 AM

Some further insight, Polaris used profits from Victory to buy the Indian rights and then also to produce the Slingshot. (no wonder the Victory profit margin tanked....Duh!!)

As one blogger stated, "if Polaris thinks I will dump my Vics for an Indian they can go @$*& themselves".

I'm sure the Indian line appeals to "somebody" but to me they are F#@!%*^ ugly.

There is talk of someone buying out the Victory rights from Polaris but that would take " a lot of capital" and knowhow to get it going fast before the dust settles!!!

I'm not worried, my babies are 12 and 10 years old, running strong as ever and will be until their end. Long live the "V"

DonO

• Pittbull and HeavyRotation like this
  • Like This

• Pittbull
9,535 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 17, 2017 - 06:06 AM

Some further insight, Polaris used profits from Victory to buy the Indian rights and then also to produce the Slingshot. (no wonder the Victory profit margin tanked....Duh!!)

As one blogger stated, "if Polaris thinks I will dump my Vics for an Indian they can go @$*& themselves".

I'm sure the Indian line appeals to "somebody" but to me they are F#@!%*^ ugly.

There is talk of someone buying out the Victory rights from Polaris but that would take " a lot of capital" and knowhow to get it going fast before the dust settles!!!

I'm not worried, my babies are 12 and 10 years old, running strong as ever and will be until their end. Long live the "V"

DonO

Ya pretty much the same here, my bikes are great and going strong as ever. If I sold them I wouldn't know what else to get anyway. Sure as hell would not be Harley again, crookedest corporation going and the bikes just are not that good. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

The Last Frontier - We're Nearing Total World Domination.... by Squid_Racer

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  2,105 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Electric Start, It's a Clear Advantage by Squid_Racer

• * * * * -
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

My 1972 XL250 MOTOSPORT PROJECT by tonykennah

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • * * - - -
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

Will Chad Reed Win a Round? by Squid_Racer

• Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

Garrett Gerloff | 2016 Yamaha Wall of Champions Inductee by Bryan Bosch

Street   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • 0 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.