Am I nuts? Did I get the wrong bike?

48 replies to this topic
  • Hamish

Posted March 25, 2004 - 02:54 AM

I had similar feelings, but am starting to come to grips with it. I'd do the BK mod. In the rocky hillclimbs I 'chug' the engine below the midrange hit, this makes it a bit more forgiving.

Hamish

• PumpkinHumper

Posted March 25, 2004 - 04:09 AM

I have had the same thoughts and finially did something about it. I just bought a 250 thumper (a red one :)) I am coming of a 99 yz400. The 250 is so much lighter than my ol 400.

I realized a few years back while ridding my wifes KDX200 in the single track that I could go just as fast on that as I could on my 400. And The KDX wouldn't wear me out as fast.

I was concerned that the 250 wouldn't be enough bike coming off the 400. Hasn't been a problem at all. If anything I am faster on the 250 than I was on the 400 cause I dont have to work as hard.

I love my new 250. There is no doubt in my head that I did the right thing. :D

• jwriott

Posted March 25, 2004 - 05:35 AM

Maybe you just think your are faster. :)

Don and I have discussed this a lot and if you are in really tight areas, I think you can go faster on the 250F's. If you ride a wide mix of terrain like I do, the power is nice and I wouldn't even mind more. I YZ timed my WR426 and I like all the power it has with the YZ timing even in the tight stuff. I think it depends more on your riding style. I also think the big WR's are geared low enough stock. First gear is almost completely useless for me except if I need to start out on a steep incline or rocky area.

If it feels too out of control, shift earlier and ride the low end more. If you've ever ridden a 500 2-stroke in the woods, you know what I mean.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted March 25, 2004 - 07:34 AM

It's exactly that. Early in the day is fine, but after a couple hours of rough riding I feel like I'm hanging on for dear life. In open area it's great all day. But when the trail is rocky (boulders), whoopy, tight, etcetera for 4 hours, I'm toast.

Maybe it's lack of experience, but I doubt it. Probably closer to lack of conditioning. I don't ride 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. I ride hard a couple times a month (besides putting around).

Did you do Snowy, Garry? Oh baby, what a ton of fun.

Nope, have not done snowy. But my buddy did it and said it was not as difficult as Soboba. I am dying to try it, Derek is going to do it tomorrow, but I have to work...

I don't know, i am feeling a little sick <cough, cough>...

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted March 25, 2004 - 07:36 AM

Hey GrahamO, I didn't read through all the comments, but my solution was to gear mine down. Spend $ 20.00 for a 52 tooth rear sprocket, if that isn't low enough, change the front. I found I like my WR much more with some of the top end shifted down lower. And I love to wheelie and it will do it even in fifth. :)

I would agree here, I am running 14/52 and it is a blast. Who needs a bike that does 90MPH in the dirt.

• GrahamO

Posted March 25, 2004 - 09:50 AM

Nope, have not done snowy. But my buddy did it and said it was not as difficult as Soboba. I am dying to try it, Derek is going to do it tomorrow, but I have to work...

I don't know, i am feeling a little sick <cough, cough>...

Just little sections of Snowy are hard, and it sounds like those guys are going to skip the tough parts if they hit it at all. I'm going to try to make it. I can hear you coughing from here...

• azwr450f

Posted March 25, 2004 - 10:57 AM

when the one time comes that you really need the power and you have it. You Will smile and think of the poor fellow struggling on the wr 250 :)

• yamaharichey

Posted March 25, 2004 - 01:31 PM

Hey Graham O, I noticed no one has mentioned this but you could maybe try a throttle with larger turning radius. I think ours are 1/4 turn throttles, try a 1/2 turn and it won't be as sensitive. Just a thought.

• Rattler88

Posted March 25, 2004 - 02:16 PM

I got on a CRF250 last week and I am realy temped to sell
my 01 WR426 and get one just because it was so flickable
if that's even a word, however I still love the WR for the
desert.
Single track's are fun you just have to enjoy the scenery at
a slower pace because going to fast will leave you looking
at the sky.

Jerry :)

• viking50

Posted March 25, 2004 - 03:50 PM

Are you guys really serious? Did you get a skirt with that 250? What??????? Are you like over 50 or something? My first bike since I was a kid, (I am 38)is a used '00 WR400F with all the mods. Anything less my wife can ride-she's 4'8" 95 lbs. :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ironhead

Posted March 25, 2004 - 04:57 PM

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING FOR 3 WHOLE DAYS WHEN I BOUGHT A NEW KX 500 IN 1990.(CALL ME SINNER)I HAD A KX 250 AND DIDNT FIGURE THE 500 COULD HAVE MUCH MORE POWER, SO FOR $100 MORE I BOUGHT A TRUE BEAST. THAT THING HAD SUCH SMOOTH PREDICTABLE POWER (TONS OF IT) AFTER ABOUT 3 DAYS I FELT IT COULD DO ANYTHING, AND IT PRETTY MUCH DID FROM TIGHT TECHNICAL STUFF TO PLAYING ON THE TRACK. I JUST BOUGHT A 01 YZ 426 THAT I AM DUALSPORTING AND IT HAS GOOD POWER BUT I DONT LIKE IT FOR THE WOODS. I FEEL I CAN RIDE MY LITTLE 300 KLX AS FAST OR FASTER IN THE WOODS,ITS 1/2 THE POWER BUT ITS SMOOTH AND EASY TO RIDE. I NEVER RODE A WR BUT I HEAR THEY ARE A LITTLE MILDER SO THATS WHAT IM AFTER.THE YZ DONT HAVE THAT SMOOTH LINEAR POWER. TO ME ITS MORE LIKE A 250 2 SMOKER. YOU CANT HAVE TOO MUCH POWER IF THE DELIVERY IS NICE AND SMOOTH, MAYBE YOU COULD WORK ON SMOOTHING THINGS OUT IF THATS THE CASE. JUST MY 2 CENTS :) :D

• ogrebelle

Posted March 25, 2004 - 05:03 PM

I'm tending to agree with viking50, but I do agree that the weight, while I wouldn't consider it offensive, is noticable. My old '82 RM250 is a wonder in the woods (for those who understand a clutch...its amazing how many people these days don't know how to use one). It weighs what the current 125 MX'ers weigh but has a lightning bolt for a motor. I keep her around 'cuz I can't bear to part with her. The only fatigue you get from that bike is from trying to hang on.
Doug

• tp3dxf

Posted January 18, 2005 - 01:53 PM

I love controlled power. And my 426 has plenty of it. It used to scare me but it made me a better rider. I now know what it takes to control my right wrist.

It's a big bike I guess but I love it. Nothing like third gear torque to keep wheel spin down. Singletrack is my love. I wish the bike was 50 lbs lighter but I have learned to deal with it. Because of the added weight and power I am a stronger and better rider. I'll bet many of you feel the same way now after some time on the bikes.

I have done the Snowy on it and it was a bitch straight up. But by the time we hit it we were already 50 miles into the ride and I ran out of water. This didn't help the situation. I also think that riding up it may be better then going down it.

Either way I am going to do it again this spring. From Kings camp to the top. If you really want to test your trail, singletrack skills this is the trail to do it around here.

Now If I could just get in on the Soboba ride.

• barefootbob

Posted January 18, 2005 - 02:22 PM

Befor I got my WR450 I was riding a 03 KX500 so when I got my WR to much power was not an issue.I like tight trails and hill climbs.
KX500 motor in my WR450 frame hmmmm might be fun

• Texas4play

Posted January 18, 2005 - 03:13 PM

There's no such thing as the "wrong" bike. Maybe you just need ANOTHER bike.

• CISCO

Posted January 18, 2005 - 09:33 PM

USE***THE****CLUTCH

It is not just there to keep the motor running when you stop. In the woods the clutch is your friend. Slip it ride it use it.

My 450SX works well in the woods. It goes from idle to rev limit twice as fast as the WR. But it works for me when clutch is liberally applied. :cry: Dont SMOKE the clutch...just use it when you need to mellow out the power.

Also try to keep the gas steady. Dont chop it alot, as this tends to wear you out quickly.

• Treebanger

Posted January 19, 2005 - 09:28 AM

250f is just as fast or faster in woods as a 450 , but how many of us that rode the 250f gave up the cheap pass to the guy on the 450 and had to ride our tails off to repass him . I got tired that ,went with the big bore and love it . A well handling WR450 is to die for , until you have ridden a well suspensioned bike you won't know the different. The great thing about the WR is you can setup it to steer anyway you like , won't cost you a dime. Anyone remember how much trouble the KTM guys and Honda was having trying to get thier bike to turn???

• simon@vic

Posted January 19, 2005 - 10:01 AM

your nuts!!!!

if it is beating you up gear it down a bit.

• thumper_dad

Posted January 19, 2005 - 10:49 AM

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING FOR 3 WHOLE DAYS WHEN I BOUGHT A NEW KX 500 IN 1990.(CALL ME SINNER)I HAD A KX 250 AND DIDNT FIGURE THE 500 COULD HAVE MUCH MORE POWER, SO FOR $100 MORE I BOUGHT A TRUE BEAST. THAT THING HAD SUCH SMOOTH PREDICTABLE POWER (TONS OF IT) AFTER ABOUT 3 DAYS I FELT IT COULD DO ANYTHING, AND IT PRETTY MUCH DID FROM TIGHT TECHNICAL STUFF TO PLAYING ON THE TRACK. I JUST BOUGHT A 01 YZ 426 THAT I AM DUALSPORTING AND IT HAS GOOD POWER BUT I DONT LIKE IT FOR THE WOODS. I FEEL I CAN RIDE MY LITTLE 300 KLX AS FAST OR FASTER IN THE WOODS,ITS 1/2 THE POWER BUT ITS SMOOTH AND EASY TO RIDE. I NEVER RODE A WR BUT I HEAR THEY ARE A LITTLE MILDER SO THATS WHAT IM AFTER.THE YZ DONT HAVE THAT SMOOTH LINEAR POWER. TO ME ITS MORE LIKE A 250 2 SMOKER. YOU CANT HAVE TOO MUCH POWER IF THE DELIVERY IS NICE AND SMOOTH, MAYBE YOU COULD WORK ON SMOOTHING THINGS OUT IF THATS THE CASE. JUST MY 2 CENTS :cry: :cry:

only an Ironworker would type in caps to get his point accross :cry:

I do agree with you and your points, if you get a chance to ride a WR be sure to do it and you will fall in love.
Good Luck.

As far as the WR having to much power, personally they are a little weak in the power department when you buy them, after a Pipe, Jetting and all the free mods are done the bike is just about perfect to haul my 220lbs ass up the side of 38 degree slope

• yz426onNOS

Posted January 19, 2005 - 12:10 PM

Do any of you 450 owners actually use all that power?

[COLOR=Blue]I do, but with gear i'm about 400 pounds. Bike dose not have enough even with a ton of mods![/COLOR]

So yesterday I'm riding through some single track and I think to myself, "Self, let's really twist the throttle and see what happens." What an idiot. I almost died.

[COLOR=Blue]AHHHH wiskey throttle! When I used to ride tight steep technical singal track in the northwest mountains. I ALWAYS held my hand over the clutch! Always keep some fingers on the clutch. That way if that happens you can pull the clutch in before a tree jumps out in front of you. Plus if your rideing hard singal track like you said your hand should be on the clutch at all times.[/COLOR]

. Anyone else think the same? Am I nuts? Maybe I'm just a big pansy.

[COLOR=Blue]Your nuts! You just have to learn how to ride a mans bike! Not a drz! pun inetended.[/COLOR]

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.