Am I nuts? Did I get the wrong bike?

48 replies to this topic
  • GrahamO

Posted March 24, 2004 - 08:28 AM

Do any of you 450 owners actually use all that power? I'm seriously almost getting sick of it. I'm not a track rider, and I don't really like going 100mph through the desert. I like tight single track.

So yesterday I'm riding through some single track and I think to myself, "Self, let's really twist the throttle and see what happens." What an idiot. I almost died.

I use the power when I'm going straight, hill climbs and the like, but otherwise I never really twist it. UNLESS I'm trying to go slow through a technical section and I get bumped around and twist it on accident - again, death awaits.

Maybe a 250 would have been a better choice, but I'd rather have too much power than too little. Anyone else think the same? Am I nuts? Maybe I'm just a big pansy.

• law_boy

Posted March 24, 2004 - 08:32 AM

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but those thoughts have crossed my mind a number of times. Tight, technical single track is almost hard because you have to REALLY control the clutch and throttle. Maybe I just need to improve my skill a little more.

• yamaharichey

Posted March 24, 2004 - 08:40 AM

Trust me, once you get used to that power and throttle control you'll never want less. Ride it for several months then hop on a 250 and you'll be disapointed. You don't need that much power very often, but boy is it nice when you want it. :)

• JVP

Posted March 24, 2004 - 08:44 AM

Power: If used wisely will get you out of more trouble than it will get you in. Maybe!

• sean400

Posted March 24, 2004 - 08:45 AM

My XR400 has been plenty of power for me. I ride with 2 WR450 owners and a DRZ440 owner (just punched it out last month) and I go everywhere they go (within sanity limits!). I don't ride as fast or as hard as they do so my bike fits me just fine. My XR has all the power I need exactly where I use it, bottom end GRUNT! I don't think you made a bad decision unless you can't throw the 450 around like you could a 250. If it's nimble enough for you, then it fits you.

• Dezrider

Posted March 24, 2004 - 09:18 AM

I don't have a WR450, but I can understand what you are saying. I have an XR650R and I have wondered myself if maybe it's too much bike. However, those thoughts quickly go away when I nail the throttle. :) :D :D

• woodsk

Posted March 24, 2004 - 09:18 AM

I ride a '00 WR400 with all the power mods with the exception of new cams. I have had the same thoughts, my bike to is VERY fast with tons of snap the throttle power. So the 450 must really kick a$$. I have not had a chance to ride one yet, but as my skills improve over the next few years I will most likely want to move up (and I am a little jelous of my kids Estarts).

• oldbones

Posted March 24, 2004 - 09:23 AM

I never feel that way at the beginning of the day, or ever if we are riding in open areas. But, towards the end of a long day in the woods, when I am fighting just to hold on, I often find myself thinking I would give away 20 horsepower if 20 pounds went with it! :D

All that power is great, but it is sometimes true: A bigger motor just gets you to the scene of the accident quicker! :D

Would I go back? No. :) Now, if'n I had way more money and a bigger garage, I could see ADDING a 250 to the stable, but never in place of the big bore. No substitute for inches, baby! :D

• Bamster

Posted March 24, 2004 - 10:16 AM

I ride alot of tight single track and would trade my WR 400 for a WR 250 in a heartbeat. :)
I have ridden my budies 250 and it dosn't beat me up in the tight stuff and is very flickable.
The more power the less handling.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted March 24, 2004 - 10:58 AM

Do any of you 450 owners actually use all that power? I'm seriously almost getting sick of it. I'm not a track rider, and I don't really like going 100mph through the desert. I like tight single track.

So yesterday I'm riding through some single track and I think to myself, "Self, let's really twist the throttle and see what happens." What an idiot. I almost died.

I use the power when I'm going straight, hill climbs and the like, but otherwise I never really twist it. UNLESS I'm trying to go slow through a technical section and I get bumped around and twist it on accident - again, death awaits.

Maybe a 250 would have been a better choice, but I'd rather have too much power than too little. Anyone else think the same? Am I nuts? Maybe I'm just a big pansy.

Yes, when I rode Soboba I was wishing i had a 250...
I have a feeling snowy trail would be funner on a 250.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tl1ks

Posted March 24, 2004 - 10:59 AM

welp...

I guess, since I've had my WR for at least three weeks... I'd say.. [@#$%&*!]..

No, just kidding. We just did a 45 mile run last weekend, I'd rate the trail SUPER tight.. and my jetting was totally jacked up..

I had little to no lower midrange.. and couldn't get it adjusted in time.. (needed the james dean kit)

ANYWAY.. I either had to stay up on it in 1st.. bumping the revlimiter (yes it's bone stock except the can was uncorked resulting in the crappy jetting) or I'd shift up to second.. and lug the crap out of it.. and use the back brake a lot more..

BUT even though I'm a newb on this bike... I ride a TL on the street with 125HP, so I don't feel like I'm outta control, or scared when I grab a handfull I like pulling the front up in 3rd or 4th on a fire road.. If I couldn't I'd be disapointed..

I think the perspective you have on the power delivery varies on rider experience*.

I did however feel like the WR was a little large to "throw around" in the tight stuff, and was thinking a WR250 would be easier in the super tight stuff..

but I'm 6' 250lbs.. so I guess I'll be sucking it up.

-josh

*I'm in Nooooo way saying I have more experience than you.. I grew up on dirt, but have ridden almost NO dirt for the last 10-12 years.. a 1988 CR250 was the last bike I owned.. back in 1990-92.. so it's been a while..

• GrahamO

Posted March 24, 2004 - 11:18 AM

It's exactly that. Early in the day is fine, but after a couple hours of rough riding I feel like I'm hanging on for dear life. In open area it's great all day. But when the trail is rocky (boulders), whoopy, tight, etcetera for 4 hours, I'm toast.

Maybe it's lack of experience, but I doubt it. Probably closer to lack of conditioning. I don't ride 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. I ride hard a couple times a month (besides putting around).

Did you do Snowy, Garry? Oh baby, what a ton of fun.

• iNSaNe

Posted March 24, 2004 - 11:23 AM

I don't know about you but that extra power tends to save my ass rather than endanger it, I don't have a tough time keeping a cap on it when I need to. I can ride fire roads to sand pits to tight singles and everything in between for hours and I don't find it hard to ride at all or get very tired. Being in good shape probably helps, I jog every week in the summer.

Maybe because I am used to mauling the old man's '81 XR500 in the same trails before I got my WR450. That thing is like driving a Harley through the woods compared to the WR :) You just kinda point where you want to go and gas it since it's too heavy to flick. I do find myself wondering how much fun a 250F would be considering the 450 feels ok to me.

• ckulzer

Posted March 24, 2004 - 11:43 AM

GrahamO,
I find that big bikes are easier to ride with a narrow rear tire. It is easier to control the bike with wheelspin and momentum. I ride tight trails and chase XR/WR 250s (sometimes successfully). In the really tight stuff, the 450 can be a handful, but with less traction, it is easier to modulate the power. If traction is high, the acceleration can shuttle you forward at an alarming rate. A narrow rear tire also helps under-steer due to wheelies.

When I bought my 450, I realized that I needed to get in shape to maximize the experience. I have always ridden big bikes and when I ride other people's smaller bikes, I get frustrated with the lack of power.

Unless you are racing, ride the bike that is the most fun – Remember what may be the most fun may not be the fastest. That’s ok.

Ride fast - take chances

Chad

• WR_Dave

Posted March 24, 2004 - 01:19 PM

Now I am the last guy to be giving "in shape" advice but if you are wearing out at the end of the ride , a little work out time, a little mountain biking and having power bars halfway through the ride and energy drinks in the camelback will help you to feel fresher at the end than if you try to tough it out. Works for me---WR Dave. :)

• PBWR450

Posted March 24, 2004 - 01:30 PM

I would like to try a WR/YZ 250F but have no problems with my 450. I rode a DT125 for a few years in elementary school then moved to a DT360 in the 6th grade. After that was a XT500 then after a 20 year break in riding bought a Husaberg FE600. Since riding the DT360 all those years ago I have always preferred a big motor. I also had a KX250 for awhile when I had the Husaberg. I timed myself on both bikes on a tight course with no more than a few seconds difference and really felt about the same after riding each one.

My 450 actually to me feels alot like the KX250 did. I ride it in about the same manner as I did the KX.

I also agree with many others, I don't always need the power but want it when I do. :)

Have you experimented with different sprocket combinations?

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 24, 2004 - 03:14 PM

There is no question you need real good throttle control on the 450 in single track woods. I have the WR cam and I wheelie coming out of corners and hit trees occasionally. :D It just has so much power that it is harder to ride fast in single track conditions. Sure I can ride in control like anyone on this board, but the 450 ridden at peak HP in the woods is a handful for 90% of the riders I see. Top class pro's and GNCC guys not included. :)

• YamahaSteve

Posted March 24, 2004 - 04:18 PM

I used to have a TTR250 and I would NEVER go back to somthing like that. I know a WR250 would be a little more more powerful than the TTR but still... I love to grab a handful of that throttle and feel it try to pull my arms off. I also ride some single track and I agree it is very sensitive at low and slow speeds... and I will also admit that it has scared the #$!@ outta me before but hey, like I said no goin back for this boy. In fact, I would like more power!!!

• dirtstiff

Posted March 24, 2004 - 04:41 PM

Hey GrahamO, I didn't read through all the comments, but my solution was to gear mine down. Spend $ 20.00 for a 52 tooth rear sprocket, if that isn't low enough, change the front. I found I like my WR much more with some of the top end shifted down lower. And I love to wheelie and it will do it even in fifth. :)

• Sylvain

Posted March 24, 2004 - 05:12 PM

I was having the same toughts when I got my 2002 426 ! And still today when I'm not on the bike I think the 250 would be plenty for me. But when I'm on the bike :) I go back 25 years and forget about my mid age crisis.

Some people are trigger happy and some are throttle happy :D :D

God bless people who can design such wonderful machines :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.