XR650R rear tailights

7 replies to this topic
  • RWilson

Posted March 23, 2004 - 05:47 PM

I licensed my XR650R in a minimalist sort of way. One mirror, bulb horn and a resistor type brake switch. This leaves the stock tailight pathetically weak so I replaced the 2 watt #158 bulb with a #168 which doubled the light output.

The problem is it works it's way out of the rubber boot, but only on my occasional street bouts, resulting in the following equation. "Murphy's Law" + 0 light output = red lights and siren.

So any suggestions? I don't want a big huge tail light but don't want to be a hood ornament either.

Thanks

• irondude

Posted March 23, 2004 - 06:57 PM

some guys hook up LCD panels from Radio Shack that put out great light, are tuff, and fit into the stock rear plastic lens...check out the Yahoo site archives for pics, info.

• TOPOLINO

Posted March 24, 2004 - 06:45 AM

I put dual filiment bulbs in the stock headlight and tailight. If I remember correctly, I got the stuff from fourstrokesonly.com and grafted it to the baja designs kit I ordered wothout lights. I think the LED idea is even better, wish I had thought of it. It was pretty tight in there.

• BWB63

Posted March 24, 2004 - 02:36 PM

I put the brake light switch in the rear brake cylinder, a 1157 bulb socket and added a rectifier for the 1157 LED light that I bought. You can get these lights at the auto store now. The retifier is from radio shack. The one I got is way over kill at 25 amp rating.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ciqir

Posted March 24, 2004 - 08:00 PM

Anyone got a link to that LED light stuff?

Thanks--

• Kritter

Posted March 25, 2004 - 05:24 AM

I put the brake light switch in the rear brake cylinder, a 1157 bulb socket and added a rectifier for the 1157 LED light that I bought. You can get these lights at the auto store now. The retifier is from radio shack. The one I got is way over kill at 25 amp rating.

Why did you need a rectifier? I know my DS kit puts out DC.

• steve_f

Posted March 25, 2004 - 05:35 AM

Anyone got a link to that LED light stuff?

Thanks--

I use these on my RC51.

Hyper-Lite

• BWB63

Posted March 25, 2004 - 03:16 PM

I built my own kit. I have a two stage stator 80/120watt. 80 watt DC @ final voltage of 13.2 and 120 watts @ 13.8 volts. I run the blinkers (real small not real legal), LED brake light and GPS off the DC. The head light is off the AC. It a Acerbis HDD with a Blue star light in it. I don't have Baja Designs kit. I found it to be to heavy and stick out to much. My setup is half the weight (2.8# and less then $110). The retifier is for some one that want's to setup a stock bike with out buying all the baja designs. I don't run a battery either. I had one just long enough to get a plate.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.